Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:32 PM

Default My first hand in a while...

Sorry I haven't been posting lately, I've been swamped with school work. I finally got to play today and here's a hand I have a question about...

Ultimate Bet 0.01/0.02 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.01.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (10 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (10 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Results:
Hero has Kh Qd (straight, king high).
BB has 3c 9c (one pair, nines).
UTG+1 has Th Kd (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 13 BB.

Was it ok for me to take the free card or should I have pushed the pot?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: My first hand in a while...

At this limit... I bet that every time.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:15 AM

Looks good.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:16 AM

I'm not sure what a turn bet would accomplish for you. If this were 2 handed or maybe even 3 handed then it's possible you could be best with King high and a bet might force out lower cards that could pair up or set you up for a steal on the river, but at least one of your 3 opponents has a pair of something and they aren't letting go of it in this large pot.

You aren't going to fold a better King or a better Q either. Some worse hands are going to call which lessens the cost of a bet, but I don't think you're making a profit on it. So a bet doesn't protect your hand (even a gutshot will have odds to call), nor does it have immediate value since you're just too likely to be behind to at least a pair.

So, I would take this free card pretty much every time, though I have never played lower than .50/1 so I could be making some poor assumptions. Actually, a limit like $1/$2 is probably the perfect limit to bet this against the right opponents since you can get the weak-tighties to make a "big laydown", but at .50/1 and probably anything lower you just get "weak" and not so much tight. Anyway, I don't think a bet loses you much since you do have some decent equity, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:22 AM

played 100% perfectly!

i love the free card!!!!!! i win so much $ with it, its disgusting.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] why? what will betting accomplish?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I guess I the books are helping. =)
Old 10-26-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More options for winning on river or turn (even if you miss you give yourself a chance to win this pot) , larger pot (implied odds at this limit)
Not saying that taking the free card here is wrong. Just that i'll bet it.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking the free card on the turn is fine, however I think betting is better.

The reason is that you may take it down right there. If you miss on the river you're likely beaten, so a bet allows you a bit of fold equity right now. You've been the aggressor, so you have that edge.

I like the free card if you think you'll induce a bluff from an EP player and hopefully be able to raise a bunch of players if you hit. However, other than a little resistance early in the hand, the others have been pretty passive, so I can't really think a bluff is coming.

With this many players in, I'd prefer to bet it and either take it down or build a bigger pot for myself should I hit the hand.

The free card play is a great tool, but I think in this particular situation you have great equity with plenty of opponents who will pay you off.

Regards,

T
Old 10-27-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason is that you may take it down right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a 0% chance of all three opponents folding to a single turn bet.

[ QUOTE ]
If you miss on the river you're likely beaten, so a bet allows you a bit of fold equity right now. You've been the aggressor, so you have that edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't hit on the river, you're absolutely beaten, unless you think all your opponents (including the one who bet into you as the preflop raiser) can't beat K high. Betting this turn also means inevitably betting the river and hoping everyone else folds since your hand has little showdown value.

[ QUOTE ]
With this many players in, I'd prefer to bet it and either take it down or build a bigger pot for myself should I hit the hand. The free card play is a great tool, but I think in this particular situation you have great equity with plenty of opponents who will pay you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 8 clean outs to the nuts (four aces, four nines). Your overcards are worth about 3 outs. 11 outs gives us a little less than 25% pot equity. So even if you bet and all players call, your bet is not even EV neutral.

In a situation like this, I would take the free card every time. At nano-limits, opponents take the craziest hands to show down. There's no way you're winning this hand unless you hit on the river.