Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 07-05-2005, 07:01 PM

Default 10/20 JJ live

Just checking the line here.

Hero is SB with about 4000, villain is button with about 3500. A few notes about villain, massively overplays hands, will pay off with top pair, bit of a maniac.

Folded around to button who raises to 100. This has been a normal raise from him and could mean anything from AK to K10, possibly a high pair. I call in the SB with JJ. Heads up we see a flop of

J 5 2 rainbow.

Ok, perfect. I check, he bets 250, this has been his standard continuation bet, although if he hits it has been a bit more in the 300 - 400 range, so he has the aforementioned AK - K10. I call. We have a pot of about 700 to the turn of

A (completing rainbow)

I check in the hopes the A helped him, he pots it, meaning he has the A, and I raise to 2000. (Is this enough?) He thinks for about 2 seconds and calls. River is a 9, I put him all in.

Comments on all streets welcome.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: 10/20 JJ live

yes, well played, you don't want him to fold so your raise looks perfect.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:10 PM

Great play. He's going to call with AK-AJ.. maybe even AT.

I wouldn't put a small set out of his range though either. If he's raising AT on the button, he's also raising most pocket pairs as well.

Blackjack
Old 07-05-2005, 07:14 PM

Line looks great to me - I can't see how he doesn't call on the river here, hugely pot committed means obvious call unless he was on some stupid draw (inside str?). If he folds here he would have folded to all but the smallest of bets or checked behind you if you checked. Can't see a better line to get all your money in - if he has AA tell him congrats and reload.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:17 PM

what about check-raising the flop?a pair will pay off but may fold if check-raised on the turn or stop and goed.
On the flop he might just think you testing him and he will feel really weak if he folds 88/99/TT so he will call and possibly payoff all the way(along with qq/kk/aa who even even reraise then you could call wait for him to commit his stack on the turn and check-raise all-in). If he has AT/KJ/etc then you not getting a lot of action anyways
Old 07-05-2005, 08:18 PM

i think flop cr ing is the 2nd worst line, only check folding is worse.

edit- some real thought...

if you cr the flop, what are you representing that he will play back against? undercards? the board is drawless, and your hand can definitely stand seeing more cards. maybe let him hit his AQ/AK so he can overplay it.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:12 PM

The idea is not make him 'play back'(except when he has KK/AA) but to make him pay you off, which he most likely will not do when you check-raise him on the turn, any the fish can fold one pair there, but I guess it depends on his how loose is his pf requirements, if he is known thief then by all means slowplay it, just call the turn and fire one on the river