Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2003, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Revouar Paree

Well said, HDPM. I must be getting soft in my middle age. Perhaps, however, the quintessential misanthrope, Ambrose Bierce, did it best. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Zeno

Old 08-20-2003, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Revouar Paree

I had a summer off in 1986 when I was 20, picked up a book in a public library by a cyclist/travel writer. It hooked me. Bought a touring bike a few days later and a couple of weeks later took the train from scotland to the middle of switzerland and cycled for 3 weeks on my own through the alps to Avignon. Fantastic! One of the best things I ever did, except that the first day I cycled up one of the big cols - it took 3 hours to get up the top and I had to push the last mile to the top 'cos of cramp both front and back of both legs. Sat in the cafe and drank lots of strong coffee with lots sugar, ate a couple mars bars, drank water and ate a handful of salt out of the salt shaker. Then it took just 15 minutes down the other side. Man, then I had another one looking at me.

Heh, I'd advise anyone to build up to the tour de france stuff and not approach it my way.

I've done a bunch of tours since - in scotland/france mainly. Only one I regret was Miami-New orleans (and that's a whole other story)...too damn hot-in-day/cold-at-night and boring scenery.

I would say most of france makes a great cycle tour. Plenty of back roads and hostelries everywhere. Get the yellow michelin maps and use the back roads as much as possible, find the small interesting towns off the rail and main road routes.

French bashing is different from France bashing.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:48 PM

Default Re: \"Much of France shuts down in August.\"

I have been to France, and was only impressed by the amount of filth it contained

You clearly have not travelled much - I can think of many, many places that are worse than Paris (including quite a few in the US) -- which by the way is one of the greatest cities in the world. The French country side is beautiful too - head down to Provence or over towards Chamonix for some great destinations.

In Europe the least appealing city I have been to, is by far, Zurich.