Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Heartland Poker Tour-Worst Poker Announcer?

So I noticed Comcast Sports Chicago was airing "The Heartland Poker Tour." I TIVO'd it to see what it was. The particular episode I watched was a $500 tournament from Turtle Lake, WI. I watched for a little while to see if I recognized anybody I'd played with.

I guess I shouldn't expect much from somebody announcing a $500 tournament from Wisconsin, but this was just too good to not post.

'Andy' gets all-in PF with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] vs. Davis' K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

TV announcer says: "Davis flops middle pair here. And well, Andy needs an Ace or a King to steal this one from Davis. The turn comes Queen of spades and Andy is down to 6 outs any Ace any King will give it to him.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour-Worst Poker Announcer?

That's pretty damn sad.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:55 AM

Hard for me to imagine a worse poker announcer than Jerry Van Dyke (the guy from "Coach") doing the 2001 World Poker Open. Anyone who remembers seeing that knows what I mean.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I noticed Comcast Sports Chicago was airing "The Heartland Poker Tour." I TIVO'd it to see what it was. The particular episode I watched was a $500 tournament from Turtle Lake, WI. I watched for a little while to see if I recognized anybody I'd played with.

I guess I shouldn't expect much from somebody announcing a $500 tournament from Wisconsin, but this was just too good to not post.

'Andy' gets all-in PF with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] vs. Davis' K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

TV announcer says: "Davis flops middle pair here. And well, Andy needs an Ace or a King to steal this one from Davis. The turn comes Queen of spades and Andy is down to 6 outs any Ace any King will give it to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this on in the background today. Didn't he correct himself?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:41 AM

In one of the early 90's WSOP's Dick Van Patten also makes a similar mistake.

I think it was 1993. You really have to be listening to his commentary to catch it though.

It was something like 99 vs. AK and the flop was K42.

So Dick wisely observes that the other guy needs a 9 to stay alive.

The turn is another K and dick not-so-wisely observes that the 99 guy is 'drawing dead' now.
After the 'trivial' river comes Dick's broadcast partner (forget his name) pointed out that a 9 would have still been good and would have given him a full-house and Dick then says, "Oh yes...he would have gotten a full-house with a 9."

I'm assuming this Heartland thing might have been live??
But if he corrected himself it's a forgiveable mistake.

I see play-by-play announcers at a much higher level making really bad mistakes ALL the time. It happens.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 PM

This SUCKS 2 days ina row of streaming probs
Come one techies... PLEASE