Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 01:56 PM

Default JJ on the Button vs LAG - Isolation attempt goes wrong

UTG is overall very bad player. He's very loose and somewhat aggressive (53/9/1.4) and will call to the river with almost any draw or a hand as weak as MPNK. He will usually bet/raise if he has a hand though, and has been folding out to my C/B's fairly regularly.

BB is just plain dumb. In 13 hands he's bet away almost his entire stack raising and calling with all sorts of trash.

Stacks:
Hero - $98.15
SB - $12.90
UTG - $94.04

0.50/1 NLHE 6-max <font color="blue"> (5-players) </font>

Hero has J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG calls, CO folds, Hero <font color="red"> raises to $5 </font>, SB folds, BB <font color="red"> raises to $12.90 (all-in) </font>, UTG calls, Hero <font color="red"> raises to $25 </font>, UTG calls

<font color="green"> I was hoping to isolate the BB with this raise. Obviously it didn't work. A part of me thinks I should have raised more, another part of me thinks that UTG would have called any sized bet, so I should have just called. </font>

($63.40) Flop <font color="blue"> (3 players, 1 all-in) </font>: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero......?

Under normal circumstances a bet from the button is almost manditory, but any realistically sized bet leaves me pot commited with what is probably the worst hand. I'm lost on this one.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: JJ on the Button vs LAG - Isolation attempt goes wrong

what's the point of raising the amount you did after utg calls bb's raise? now you're in a really tough spot.

given utg's stats and your read on him, you are ahead of his hand range and you should just push pf and hope he calls.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 PM

Push preflop is the solution. You have alot of FE. You likely have the best hand over UTG. When you raise like you did, an over sux, and two overs sux worse. You're basically hoping for an all undercard flop, and even then that might suck because he could easily have a middle pp like 88-TT. Push preflop and represent AA/KK. UTG's shown you the strength of his hand twice. He'll probably fold if you push, if not, oh well, that's fine too.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:25 PM

Given the BB's side-pot you want to get to showdown and J's will be tricky post flop, so I like a pf push as well. After 2 calls so far UTG is unlikely to have you dominated.