Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:40 AM

Default 150/300 bellagio hand

6 handed or so bellagio 150/300. Been playing with seat 1 for a couple hours...mostly 5 handed. He opens a decent amount of hands and is simple to play postflop because he plays very honest ABC post-flop poker and doesn't make weak un-trusting call downs. He's a young guy trying to play well and would beat weak opponents for sure so he's decent...but overly observant opponent wouldn't have too many problems with him.

I'm in seat 3 and have a good image. I haven't been playing wildly and have been playing pretty tight...and haven't gotten out of line at all.

Seat 5 is a high stakes NL holdem/pl omaha pro who I'm pretty sure is a very successful player. We played 80/160 the day before for like 15 minutes and the only hand that came up was I raised A3o on the button, he 3 bet out of the sb, I 4 bet, he 5 bet, i called, flopped a 3 and called the flop and turn and river went check check and I beat his AJo. This is his first orbit at the 150 game.

Seat 1 raises utg, I 3 bet A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 spots later

Seat 5 (my imediate right...button) cold calls 3 bets, all fold, seat 1 calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
seat 1 checks, I bet, seat 5 calls, seat 1 folds.

Turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, seat 3 bets, I call.

Turn J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Re: 150/300 bellagio hand

well, cant really put him on anything but AQ, but folding that river would be tough... pot is pretty effing big, so seems fine.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:53 AM

I think I can fold the river a fair amount of the time here. Depends alot on just the general flow of the game I guess.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:00 AM

I am assuming seat 3, is actually seat 5 the high stakes NL guy.

I like check raising the turn. I think it is good for metagame consderations. Also, I think it could induce a crazy 3 bet from smaller pocket pairs. It could also cause weak call downs etc.

If he does have a better ace, then you have a strong draw at him, and I don't think he is going to raise your river bet without a monster if you c/r the turn.

I think if he is bluffing and you c/r him, hes gonna go nuts from time to time and 3/bet and bet the river.

Either way, it is likely to fluster him, and your hand nearly merits a raise for value. I am not sure how wide his call 3 cold range is here, but I am assuming it could involve some wierd hands, JTs, pocket pairs...

blake
Old 11-08-2005, 02:12 AM

c/r the turn.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:32 AM

I like it

[ QUOTE ]
Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5club
seat 1 checks, I bet, seat 5 calls, seat 1 folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

He cold called a 3 bet against a player he probably thinks is solid. On the flop, he simply calls, giving the original raiser, who very well could have a weak A great odds to call and no good reason to fold. There's absolutely no draw on the board. He's usually very agressive. His simple call here scares the hell out of me.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. You picked up a flush draw to the nuts. You have lots of outs to improve. However, I still think you're drawing, so I don't see the point in either betting or check-raising. If you are somehow ahead, he has very few outs, so if you happen to give a free card, it's not horrible.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Changes nothing. Pots probably big enough to warrant a call down on the off chance he actually just has Ax
, KK, QQ, etc. However, I'm not completely sure you actually win this often enough to make the call profitable, if the call is bad, it's not by much.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:38 AM

Yuk, folding here is no good IMO. He has done nothing but bet when checked to. How can a fold be right here ever? The description of this player was not straight forward.....
Old 11-08-2005, 02:43 AM

I can't see any other way to play this hand. I know that it is tempting to raise the turn but I see absolutely no point in it, assuming Seat 5 will raise with a good ace. I assume you are going to c/r a 9 or heart river?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yuk, folding here is no good IMO. He has done nothing but bet when checked to. How can a fold be right here ever? The description of this player was not straight forward.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect his range of hands to be AK, AQ, KK, AA and QQ. Look at preflop, what do you think he's calling 3 cold with from a UTG raise and a tight reraiser, and then calling the flop?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:55 AM

Preflop, I wouldve folded this hand to an UTG raise in a 6 handed game, but i understand you had your reasons for reraising. Postflop: I play it exactly the same as you did. When the NL player Coldcalls 3 bets preflop and calls the flop on this rag board, bells have to go off. Simply put, the NL player either has a better ace or a pocket pair, since you have outs to beat him when you are behind, checking and calling is the right move in my opinion. If you bet the turn two bad things can happen, you may get raised by a better hand or the NL player may fold his 2 outer being convinced you have an Ace. By checking the turn, you can induce the NL player to bet a weaker hand like a lower pocket pair, and you save money when you avoid his turn raise when he has a better hand. Checkraising the turn is just absurd, since the NL player will never fold a better hand, All a checkraise will do is make the NL player fold his 2 outer which is exactly what we dont want, and theres always the possibilty you get 3 bet by a better hand. Once you check and call the turn, I think you must check and call the river since you may have induced the NL player to bet a hand like KK which you can beat.