Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Decent payment for good NL holdem coaching?

I have been talking once in a while with one of the best NL holdem online players(no names) who plays up to 50 100nl.

So I asked him to coach me bit because I seem to be stuck on 5 10nl, and wanna hit the top level. And he was intrested about it, he is already staking and coaching one other player.

So what would be a decent amount to pay, all lessons will be done by emails. Mostly it goes the way that I ask all the questions that are in my mind and he helps as good as possible.

So, is $100/hour to little? And how does those % of increased profit things work?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Decent payment for good NL holdem coaching?

if he can help you get from 5-10 to 50-100 he is seriously underpricing himself @ 100/hr.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:12 PM

It would depend on the format of the lessons. If it basically sitting on a phone, then I wouldn't go for it. However, if it consists of playing against each other somehow, then I would go for it. Like the other poster said, if he can get you from 5/10 NL to 50/100 NL, then $100/hr isn't worth his time.

ChewyMint
Old 07-17-2005, 05:49 PM

Hey Lalit,

There are two things that should be taken into account. The first is his opportunity cost, i.e. how much could he be making if he were doing something other than coaching you (such as, playing online poker). That is what his "cost" is. The second thing is the intrinsic value of his services, i.e. the net present value of the extra money that you win on account of his services. That is what the "value" of the lessons is for you.

A fair price lies somewhere between the two. Hope you're a good negotiator... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

re: $100

If he's worth his salt, $200 is probably closer to a reasonable starting point. I currently charge less than that, but I undercharge...

ML4L
Old 07-17-2005, 05:55 PM

If he is a winning player at 50/100, he is making a lot more than $100/hour. I don't see what's in it for him, unless you do a % of profits...

Personally, if I was offered this deal, I would take it without even blinking and be willing to pay a hell of a lot more than $100/hr.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:08 PM

$200??

NPV of future gains is only limited to the number of hours OP will play. How can 200 bucks an hour be in between that and what a 50/100 player earns? If it is, I wouldn't even care about moving up...

Also, what exactly is the value of coaching? How can this be determined? If I'm too dumb to move up by myself, how much can coaching help me? How far can coaching 'boost' me beyond the stakes I would be able to reach on my own - if at all?

That said, I would love to be able to play as high as possible. I currently play 10/20. What can you do for me? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2005, 07:51 PM

don't take lessons... even if he is better than you and a good teacher, experience is still worth so much more.

keep playing 5/10 and pad your bankroll. once you have a decent amount, take a shot 1-tabling at the limit you want and see how you do. if you do shitty, go back down. the key is to have enough in your roll to play your own style, not scared or timid. if you find yourself playing differently, go back down. don't be afraid to lose a little at first.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:36 AM

Yeah that would be prolly good if I would play to become pro or something.
But I play only for fun - I have a well paying job that leaves me with about extra $5k usd every month that I dont have anything to do with, and I own my house etc.
And add to that I have offcourse my seperated poker bankroll.

On the other hand I offcourse would like to play as high as possible, without -ev.