Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 09:55 AM

Default 5/10 6-max - keep firing?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

This is from my very first limit session after about a year of purely NL.

Preflop call bad?

Since he only called my threebet I didn't think he had a Jack. When he flatcalled the turn I didn't think he had a flush either. When the river came I realized that it would be kind of strange to represent a flush all of a sudden, but I figured I could always have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J.

I kept firing because the pot had grown and I was getting better and better odds on my bluffs. In NL I would give it up after being called on the flop, obviously..

Okay, again this is my first limit post so be nice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: 5/10 6-max - keep firing?

Hi, no offense, but this is the type of play that I look for when choosing opponents in these games. I know in NL you probably made a lot on steals like these but it just doesn't work in a game when you can just call down with ace high or mid pair or whatever. When this guy raises the flop if he is anything like most guys there is approximately 0% chance that there is not going to be a showdown, at least in my experience, and you are pretty much always going to have to improve to win one when you could often have three or zero outs.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:08 AM

This is an utter disaster. Preflop is marginal, but that is the least of your worries. This guy showed strength pf after one player had limped, raised your flop bet, and then went in to call-down mode. Bluffing OOP rarely works in limit. Get the hell out of the 5/10 game. Play some 1/2 until you get comfortable. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:10 AM

This is really awful on all streets. Your very first limit session should be your last at this level for some time - you should cut your teeth on 1/2 6max, and post in Heads-up &amp; Short-handed
Old 07-05-2005, 11:25 AM

Perfect. Now tighten up for the rest of the session and hope your opponents were paying attention.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:48 AM

You're kidding, right?

I like the preflop complete, but then you should check/fold this flop.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the responses. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, it just didn't occur to me that there was a separate shorthanded limit forum.

My opponent thought for a long time on the river, then called with AA. On the turn he also took quite a while. In retrospect, the fourth heart probably helped me.

I decided to stay stubborn because he didn't have a Jack. Period. He doesn't, I represent one, and I keep at it because my odds are getting better and better. But then again, as soon as he calls the threebet he's pretty much committed to not believing me. Oh well.

I don't usually play this way, it's not exactly my standard line. I was just wondering about the concept of pot odds for my bluff - is it worth it to continue if your opponent has already called bullshit on an earlier street?

In NL, it often isn't, because you're laying yourself bad odds if you keep firing decent-sized bets. My first instinct was to fold to the flop raise. But then I decided what the hell, let's give it a shot.

As for playing 1/2 instead.. I really hope I won't have to start THAT low on the ladder.. I'm doing pretty well playing 10/20 NL right now, and it's just not worth it to me to improve my limit game if it takes that much time.

But hey, so far I'm still a liitle up playing 5/10.. I'll allow myself a grand or so, if I lose that I'll reconsider.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:46 AM

After the preflop raise and the flop re-raise what can you be ahead of here? It is easy for him to know with a high degree of certainty that you do not have a J, as if you did with him raising preflop you most likely would have went for a check-raise on this flop. Not to mention in the party 5/10 6 max you will see a lot of poor players calling to the river with any pair so firing away like you did is major spewage.

I don't mind the preflop call, but the rest of the hand is terrible IMO.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to stay stubborn because he didn't have a Jack. Period. He doesn't, I represent one, and I keep at it because my odds are getting better and better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not the only one whose odds are getting better and better here..