Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Would you kill a man who\'s robbing you? (long)

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of comments on the shoot in the kneecap, crotch, etc. suggestions.

I will not re-hash a shoot-to-kill vs. shoot-to-disable argument here, but, there is one crucial reason why if you have decided to shoot you do not try to shoot for any part of the body except for the center of mass unless you are extremely good.

In situations like the one described by the OP where you fear for your life you will be in flight or fight mode. Adrenaline will be pumping and you will most likely lose fine motor skills ( i.e. ability to acutely aim for a small target). Hence, the likelihood that you will hit an arm, crotch, or other specific body part is very unlikely unless you are highly-trained. This is why you aim for center of mass of your target. If you aim center of mass you have the highest likelihood to hit your target and eliminate the threat it poses.

So, if you have decided to shoot, this is where you aim.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. I'm not a marksman or great shot by any means, so id probably aim for his chest and end up blowing his knife-wielding hand clear off, making me look really bad-ass to the forensics people.

Hot forensics lady: You shot his hand right off! Thats remarkable
Me: Inside?
Hot forensics lady: What?
Me: Uhhh, what are you up to?
Hot forensics lady: Dont you have somewhere else to be, like, not here?
Me: ....Inside?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:14 AM

I think the situation becomes more interesting if he had a weapon hidden in a closet (or whatever).

As soon as the scumbag leaves the room you can grab it and chase after the guy, but then what? I think a fair amount of ootiots would say chase and shoot the guy if he won't stop.

Personally, if you aren't in danger anymore I don't think it is worth it. Stuff is just that, stuff. Not worth killing someone over.

Perhaps even more interesting: Same situation, but you have the gun under your bed or in a bedside drawer. If the crook says "I don't want to hurt you, I just am going to take your things and leave. Be calm, and I will be gone in two minutes." Do you go for the weapon or let him take your stuff and leave?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the crook says "I don't want to hurt you, I just am going to take your things and leave. Be calm, and I will be gone in two minutes." Do you go for the weapon or let him take your stuff and leave?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had time to grab it, definitely. I'd say, "Look, I don't want to kill you, so be calm, leave my [censored] and leave, and it won't happen."
Old 12-19-2005, 08:22 AM

I don't think there's many guys who couldn't be on top of you before you had a drawer open and a gun in your hand, much less one pointed at him. If you're reaching off the side of the bed, you're going to be turned away from him with the gun not even pointing at him if you get it. Your body will be unstable too, if you start off just lying on your bed, with nothing but momentum holding you up, unless you swing your legs off the bed first to stabilize yourself. Hopefully you've been working those Six Minute Abs tapes.

Basically I think you'd have to be a very good distance from the guy not to have him on top of you. Heck, if I thought a guy was going to pull a gun out on me -- and what else would he think? -- I'd jump on him and be landing really hard in a second or so. With my knife. Maybe landing at the same time I do.

Definitely reaching for a gun when your life is not in danger, unless you think he's going to kill you anyway, is not something I'd want to take a chance at.

If he wanted to tie me up, it might be different. That's more what sick bastards and deviates do than someone who wants to grab yout t.v., loose cash, and jewelry and run out the door.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:10 AM

I'd definately enjoy taking a shot at a guy's ass as he is leaving the scene. As far as shooting him in the act, if someone was lifting my [censored] and I had a gun under my pillow, I would most likely let him go and call the cops. I have insurance. If he threatens me witha knife I shoot him. Then I probably piss on him.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:22 AM

I would never pull a gun on someone unless i was sure i'd have no qualms using it. That said; this guy would be soooo dead if i had a gun. If this was in my kitchen; i'd like to think that i'd give him a 'break' and give him a chance to run. My bedroom... thats my fkin bedroom; + it'd b scary to hav some random armed donkey there.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps even more interesting: Same situation, but you have the gun under your bed or in a bedside drawer. If the crook says "I don't want to hurt you, I just am going to take your things and leave. Be calm, and I will be gone in two minutes." Do you go for the weapon or let him take your stuff and leave?

[/ QUOTE ]

i say "do you want some fries w/ that" and i go to sleep... if i believed him;

if i didnt completely believe him (i likely wouldnt)......
Old 12-19-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...you have the gun under your bed or in a bedside drawer.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"...I just am going to take your things and leave."

[/ QUOTE ]

"No, you're not." BANG.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:59 AM

im not a fan of guns since stats show guns in the house are more likely to injure/kill someone they're not intended for rather than protect the home. i think the only way i would have one is if i lived by myself so if i heard someone in my house i knew no one else should be there.

having said that if someone enters my home i take them as a threat to my personal safety. i dont know what the person is looking for, what weapons he's carrying, and what he is capable of doing. id shoot to kill for my safety.

in your situation if he's already threatened my life w/ a weapon id be even less hesitant to shoot to kill. that's my answer sitting at my computer. put in the real situation i dont think my answer would change.

bwana
Old 12-19-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im not a fan of guns since stats show guns in the house are more likely to injure/kill someone they're not intended for rather than protect the home.

[/ QUOTE ]

By this logic, none of should play p*ker since statistics show most people will lose money at it.