Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-16-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: NYC Transit Strike: TWU declares series of strikes

you'd be correct. I wanted to go to the stern tribute , damn union
Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty pathetic showing by the union. If you say you're going to strike, fuckign strike! Who takes private busses anyway? This is like asbestos installers striking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the point isn't going on strike. It's being willing to go on strike in order to get the concessions you want. You should know that.

[/ QUOTE ]
But it doesn't seem like they are willing to.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty pathetic showing by the union. If you say you're going to strike, fuckign strike! Who takes private busses anyway? This is like asbestos installers striking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the point isn't going on strike. It's being willing to go on strike in order to get the concessions you want. You should know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever negotiated anything? Flat "take-it or leave it" offers aren't a particularly good strategy unless your only objective is having a quick decision.

And I think the partial strike suggests that they are, in fact, willing to strike while still leaving open a big opportunity to negotiate.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. While the biggest power in the strike lies in the threat, you have to be willing to go through with the threat to make it an effective tool. If your gonna strike, then do it
Old 12-16-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a former Union delegate, I have to weigh in here. I have been on the verge of going on strike before and its not something to take lightly. The hope is, going down to the very last second, that you can avoid it. Striking is viewed as by the Union, as a "nuclear option". Once you strike, the "good faith" of collective bargaining goes flying out the window, and what happens next is something that can go in any number of vastly different directions many of which can turn absolutely devastating to the union members.

For example, if a strike occurs all those MTA workers (who no doubt are not rich) will not be getting paid indefinatetly. Also, NYC will immediately file grievances to the NLRB, and the TWU will incur millions in fines (in fact, they are still paying the fines from the last time they held a strike, in 1980).

The extension to Monday signals that the Union and the MTA agreed on certain issues. I have sat in on bargaining sessions and in many ways its akin to playing a game like poker. Im not going to make any further analogies, I think most people will get the example.

And to the guy who said the workers should quit complaining, STFU. If it werent for Unions and collective bargaining you wouldnt have 1/2 the benefits you are afforded today in your workplace.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever negotiated anything? Flat "take-it or leave it" offers aren't a particularly good strategy unless your only objective is having a quick decision.

And I think the partial strike suggests that they are, in fact, willing to strike while still leaving open a big opportunity to negotiate.

[/ QUOTE ]

The DaveR is more eleoquent than I, and further is 10000% correct.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever negotiated anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Evan has had many negotiations over the price of a BJ from strippers in Vegas.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:00 PM

Isnt the union taking on huge fines by going on strike?

[ QUOTE ]
what happens next is something that can go in any number of vastly different directions many of which can turn absolutely devastating to the union members.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what happened to the MLB Umpires about 10 years ago.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:04 PM

So, apparently these particular union members are still employees of the private bus companies until the MTA takeover is complete in Jan/Feb, so the NY Taylor law doesn't apply to them, and it is not illegal for them to strike.

pussies
Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever negotiated anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm 20.