Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-09-2005, 10:06 PM

Default HU- What stack to blind ratio, do you beging a push/fold strategy?

Given that it's important to use an either push/fold strategy once the blinds become large enough relative to your stack...what is the ratio of stck to blind ratio? 7bb? 10bb? 5bb?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: HU- What stack to blind ratio, do you beging a push/fold strategy?

At ~7BB, I'm push/fold against almost all opponents. Between 7BB and 10BB depends on my opponent, but I'm usually push/fold at <10BB.

One of the reasons why I might not be push/fold at 10BB is if villain'll let me limp and fold unimproved on the flop. Also, if villain raises to 3x BB at 10BBs and folds to a stop and go, I don't want to give him the idea that pushing's an option.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:24 PM

It's not the ratio of the BB to your stack, it's the ratio to the short stack. I generally start push/fold by 10xBB.

The Shadow
Old 12-09-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not the ratio of the BB to your stack, it's the ratio to the short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I'm more likely to push/fold when my opponent's short than when I'm short because I think I have more FE then. Against perfect opponents, you should play exactly the same with an xBB stack as you would against an opponent with an xBB stack.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I'm more likely to push/fold when my opponent's short than when I'm short because I think I have more FE then. Against perfect opponents, you should play exactly the same with an xBB stack as you would against an opponent with an xBB stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this true? If there are four left with stacks of 3000, 3000, 3000, and 1000, you wouldn't play the same with one of the 3000 chip stacks as you would with the 1000 chip stack, would you?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this true? If there are four left with stacks of 3000, 3000, 3000, and 1000, you wouldn't play the same with one of the 3000 chip stacks as you would with the 1000 chip stack, would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we were talking about when there are only two players left.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:43 AM

Never

I think the question is in relation to Heads Up play

Pushing is done when you are first to act or to negate bad position after the flop. However in HU First to act Pre flop has position after the flop so I think pushing is bad here unless a flat call leves u pot commited 2BB but also watch the size of there stack. Sometimes both players will be short stacked in relation to the blinds.

Then pushing becomes the default play as Tourney is now a crap shoot and skill will have no bearing on the outcome.

In HU your are getting better equity flat calling in SB rather then pushing.
Why Push from the BB when u can see the texture of the flop for free and then push to steal if you so wish.