Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: OT: Heads Up Strategies and considertaions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they are not going to come over the top of my limps from the button, then I'll raise less often with my marginal hands and see some cheap flops to outplay them later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please clarify this for me

[/ QUOTE ]

If my opponent is consistantly raising when I complete from the button then I cannot limp as much because I would be just throwing away chips. However, I also don't want to fold from the button too often because position is so powerful heads up. So, I have to come in for a raise more often with marginal hands because you can't wait for premium hands when heads up.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:14 PM

I wrote my earlier post quickly, just like I'm knocking this one out fast, so I'm sure that I could be expressing myself better. (DevinLake certainly made the points clearer.) That said, I was not limiting my earlier post to button play.

IMPO, passivity is more important than position. If villian generally is going to fold to a bet after he's checked it to me, I'm not that worried that I might have to play a hand out of position.

As far as deep stack PF play goes, if I'm checked to, I bet about 1/4 the time. If villian minraises, I always call. If villian raises about 3xBB, I'll reraise about 1/3 the time to see what he does. If villian is almost always raising >5xBB, at the first levels, I'll wait for a PP or AJo+ and push.

Keep in mind, I'm not viewing these as rules or as anything close to an "optimal" strategy. These are just rough guides to my starting parameters as I'm trying to smoke out the villian's style.

The Shadow
Old 11-30-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind, I'm not viewing these as rules or as anything close to an "optimal" strategy. These are just rough guides to my starting parameters as I'm trying to smoke out the villian's style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes,isn't it most important to try to find your opponents weaknes when playing HU SNG's and then use these weakneses against them?
I have just played a few low level matches, but some of the players were horrible. Some opponents will fold if you ask them to on the flop, so you just take a lot of small pots from them. It will take some time to get theire stack, but you will get there eventually.

Then you have the action junky, coming and wanting to bluff you all the time, and you just let him steal, steal, steal(then you trap him).

At the same time trying to wary your own play a little bit is a good plan.