Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Addicted to Civ IV

I have a very addictive personality for this game, as evidenced by my history with Civ 3. When that game was out everyone in my apartment would take turns hitting the gravity bong and then playing that game for 8 hours without eating until sunrise and cutting off all outside communication. I don't know if I want to buy this game for another year or so.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:47 AM

I haven't played it yet because on my sony flatscreen it is washed out looking, and I can't get the damn thing not washed out looking. (games that resize seem to all do this on this monitor, it is annoying as hell.)
Old 11-13-2005, 11:37 AM

I distinctly remember a presentation for Civ3 where one of the developers said they were happiest when people were complaining that their game was keeping them awake till the next morning.

He joked that they were happiest when people were mad at them for keeping them awake so long -

I'm glad it's living up to it's predecessors...can't wait for it to be going again. I'll probably install it this week -

maybe I can even write a new slashdot review for it....LOL - since I wrote the Civ3 one.

RB
Old 11-13-2005, 12:45 PM

Will probably get Call of Duty 2, enjoyed the first one and like that sort of gme anyway, was in a Wolfenstein clan at that games height of popularity.

AOE 3 is getting not too good reviews or the one i read anyway and I am bit sick of RTS's.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:44 PM

I never even heard of this game until a few weeks ago when someone started a thread about the game being released.

It sounded interesting and I purchased the game the next day. I was surprised at the learning curve, but figured it would be large. I read the manual, went through the tutorial (which kind of blows), and started playing the short games.

The short games take about two hours to play, and now I'm playing the epic games.

I must say, I don't get it; I mean I get it, but I don't understand what is so addicting. It's a pretty boring game to me. What am I missing?

My brother and I talked about it, and he said I probably would enjoy Age of Empires better. Never played that either, but not sure I should take the chance.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:54 PM

It's probably a reflection of personality type. I don't care for first person shooters; the people I know who excel at those don't care for the 'little man' games.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:05 PM

City of Villains, Quake 4 and Serious Sam 2 are good enough for me now. Add on Civ 4 and I will never sleep.

Lawrence
Old 11-13-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's probably a reflection of personality type. I don't care for first person shooters;

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing- I never cared for Quake, Doom or any of those types of games either.

I like the concept of the game, so maybe I need to give it more time. Perhaps I should try AOE.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:33 PM

I've stayed up to 4am playing civ4 more than a few times already...
Old 11-13-2005, 03:47 PM

I was up until 3am last night playing. I won the Space Race but then kept on playing because I wanted to destroy the rest of the civs. I finally gave up and went to bed once I'd destroyed everyone except for the English. It would have taken me at least another hour to finish them off. I was playing one of the lower difficulty levels, though...I'm scared to start over with one of the higher levels because I'll be up until 3am again if I do.

It was kind of a weird game last night, btw...There were two continents, one which was much bigger than the other. The game stuck all 6 civs on the same continent, and nobody on the other one. The other one was too far away to sail to until you'd discovered the right techs to do so. I finally sent a ship over to the other continent in about 1700AD or so, and figured that it would be full of other civs' cities. However, none of the other civs had built cities there...it was totally empty except for a few large barbarian cities. It was kind of neat...sort of like discovering "the new world".