Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Question for POT LIMIT experts.............

For those of you who play expert pot limit hold em, what five...if there are five....key points or differences would you tell someone to be aware of when making the change from no limit to pot limit?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Question for POT LIMIT experts.............

I sure hope somebody who's better at PL replies to this, because I am curious as well.

The biggest three differences that I can think of from my limited experience are:

PF - Can't raise nearly as much, harder to protect, and people are more willing to call with marginal hands.

No Overbetting

You HAVE to build a pot with a big hand, no trapping until the river, because, again, no overbetting.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:38 PM

His sanity might be disputed, but I found this article by Russ Georgiev very helpful. FWIW.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 PM

well i'm no expert, having only played a few thousand hands at 3/6 short, but i'll throw in my two cents for variety. This may not apply to higher games, but 3/6 i found to be pretty passive so you can actually get a lot of bluffing equity of out the fact that there's not overbetting. If you bet the pot size on a hand you normally wouldn't put in so much with, it's a lot scarier because it can mean anything. The fish swim away and leave their money behind. I also think the players are worse - I haven't had to build any pots preflop for drawing hands, they pay me off anyways. My pl bb/100 is 5x my nl, btw. good luck!
sox
Old 07-08-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well i'm no expert, having only played a few thousand hands at 3/6 short, but i'll throw in my two cents for variety. This may not apply to higher games, but 3/6 i found to be pretty passive so you can actually get a lot of bluffing equity of out the fact that there's not overbetting. If you bet the pot size on a hand you normally wouldn't put in so much with, it's a lot scarier because it can mean anything. The fish swim away and leave their money behind. I also think the players are worse - I haven't had to build any pots preflop for drawing hands, they pay me off anyways. My pl bb/100 is 5x my nl, btw. good luck!
sox

[/ QUOTE ]

for the PLHE 600max, what is your bb/100 & what is it on your NLHE 600 max? more importantly, is this over a significant sample?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:42 PM

It's not a huge sample size and i know that, but here's the numbers:
PL600 PTBB/100 is 31.5 for 2,000 hands
NL600 PTBB/100 is 7.4 for 10,000 hands

I only play one or two tables, so that actually represents a good deal of time.
sox
Old 07-08-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Question for POT LIMIT crackheads .... an online phenomenom

Speaking from the crackheads perspective ...

Online in PL games people love to bet out the pot with top pair. It think they feel a need to swing the level over to the right side of the screen as fast as posible ... this could have something to do with the gravitational pull of the moon or the development of quantum computers.

Anyway, this makes the game a bit diferent, b/c people in NL games, in my experience, tend to bet out LESS when they fold top pair (and the easy slider option is not there).

In general I think it makes it easier to double through people when you flop a set, as the pot is already bigger, regardless of whether you slowplay or raise. On the other hand it makes you have to commit to draws more, especially if you semi-bluff raise.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:23 PM

in a live game, you are going to be looking at pot bets a lot more, since people like to say "bet pot" and "raise pot".