Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:01 PM

Default How much $ per day for you to turn pro?

I am curious to see what type of responses everyone gives here.

What amount of money would you need to average per day playing poker to quit your regular job and become an online poker pro.
By quitting your job you will be losing health benefits and the office enviornment where you have social interaction. At the same time you will no longer have deadlines or have to commute to work.

Is it $150 a day? $250 a day? $1K a day?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: How much $ per day for you to turn pro?

For someone who have a decent paying job I think It would be about 500$ / day, five hours par day. Below that I think you are better part time if you dont hate your job.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:19 PM

I suppose it depends, if your 21 and never had a job 100 a day feels great. Alot better then your friends working at costco.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:41 PM

$500/day x 200 days/yr = $100,000

I think for many people that estimate would be very high(unless you are talking canadian$). According to the US census Bureau , the mean household income in the US for 2000 was only $56,604 with employed males median salary being only $27K. Which means there's a lot of people out there living on very little....
Old 11-29-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$500/day x 200 days/yr = $100,000

I think for many people that estimate would be very high(unless you are talking canadian$). According to the US census Bureau , the mean household income in the US for 2000 was only $56,604 with employed males median salary being only $27K. Which means there's a lot of people out there living on very little....

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about quitting a decent paying job, in my definition its a job who pay about 50k per year. I need at least to make double of that to quit and turn pro.

A lot of people who turn pro say its a grind and all. Its true if you quit your job when you are making 30 $ per hour playing poker. Then you have to play a lot of hours and you have a difficult time to grow a bankroll and some savings.

When you are making 100 $ / hour and more, poker is no more that much of a grind, but a way to make a lot of money, save and invest. You dont have to play 35 hours per week to pay your bills. Also, it usually mean that you have a big bankroll who can confort you for the bad months or to take some vacations.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Many people with the ability to be good at poker would also be good at high paying jobs. I know as a software engineer, there's almost no way I could quit and play poker for a living.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:30 PM

A consistent $200/day playing less than 5 hours would do it for me.

Would mean time and money to travel, perhaps to go back to school.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:17 PM

Here's what I recommend you do. Calculate how much you earn per hour of work. Say you make $50k/year at your current job. That comes out to about $24/hr ( ($50k/52)/40) ). Now, when you can earn $96/hr at poker and have $50k saved, you can consider quitting your job.

That might sound really high, but let me explain. First, you should have a year's worth of living expenses saved. I know people recommend 6 months, but to be safe, you want more. Second, unless you are a machine, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to play 40 hours of poker a week. 20 hours per week is much more likely. Don't forget that you will also be introducing new expenses, such as additional taxes and medical insurance. You also need to be growing your bankroll while you play and sticking some of your winnings away in long term savings for the future.

Take it from someone who took the leap a bit prematurely. You'd much rather be overbankrolled and have more savings than you'll need than to be underbankrolled and have to worry yourself sick over every downswing.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:31 PM

Some good articles by Ed Miller on the subject.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A consistent $200/day playing less than 5 hours would do it for me.

Would mean time and money to travel, perhaps to go back to school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming a 5-day week, that's $50K per year pre-tax. Yeah, that'll really make you a world taveler.