Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 10:04 AM

Default future monitors...>1200 vert resolution?

Hey guys, during my random/daydreamy thoughts before bed, i found myself simultaneously thinking about multitabling poker, and badass monitors. And then, one of those lightbulbs went off. How great would it be if they made monitors capable of more than 1200 tall. Or, at a reasonable price if they already exist [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]i admit i havent done any googling yet, just occured to me.

Could this be a consumer product in the forseeable future? Would there be any major technical barriers? Certain standards, or um, whachamacallit, like formats (?). Like normal TV is whatever it is, then HDTV is an entirely new format to be filmed for, edited, and transmitted. But that wouldnt be the case for computer based stuff, would it?

I guess what im asking is why is the biggest monitor i can buy 1600x1200 (or widescreen)? Is it just becasue that is what the public wants to buy? I realize that 90% of computer users have no use for such resolutions...1280x960 is plenty for work/web/whatever. So its only special intrest groups that are even using 1600x1200, thats us poker players who multitable, graphic designers, hardcore gamers, uh... draftsmen....so not that many. So, "economies of scale" type thing.

So who's got thoughts on this? Or technical insight? Tell me teasing stuff!

I've recently moved beyond 4 tables, and have alternated between 8 over two monitors and 9 mashed into one monitor (a 3x3 grid). It seems so far that having all the tables visible simultaneously is worth the expense of a 2nd monitor, and the sore neck. But how dope would it be to have 9 tables visible on the *same* monitor, one that can resolve 2400x1800 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I bet we could find dozens of 2+2ers who would drop ~$1000 on on eof these at the drop of a hat. It would still be a high-end product, just not arm&leg pricey. <$2000 for sure.

So....if we cant get these now, how far into the future would we be looking? Several years or several decades? Perhaps 2400x1800 is too much too soon, but what about babysteps, think over 1200 is coming?

* oagain, i should have probably first looked to see if these already are produced and sold. I'm gonna have egg on face itf thats the case. But i;m too excited to hear somones reply, so im posting now anyways, bwahaha.

Thanks, BL [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: future monitors...>1200 vert resolution?

Who needs more than 1200 vertical when you can get this instead?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who needs more than 1200 vertical when you can get this instead?

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, this is impressive!
I should start 24 tabling.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:33 PM

yeah i remember seeing these a while back. very impressive.

Old Price: $15,999
New Low Web Price: $13,499

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 04:54 PM

you've answered your own question. demand for such products doesn't exist, and where it does, people just buy multiple monitors
Old 11-26-2005, 02:06 AM

Plenty of monitors go way above 1600 x 1200, but they're not mainstream, are still usually expensive. Here is a 3840 x 2400:

http://www.mondale-its.com/products/...n_Monitors.htm