Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Four to Broadway on turn

An interesting hand came up. The turn brought a fourth broadway card. JQKT with two to a flush. I was in early position with AJ in my hand but did not have any of the flush suit. 3 players were behind me. The flop was checked around.

Because I had no redraw and was in early position, I did not want the pot to get big. I also felt it was likely that somebody else had broadway as all they needed was an Ace with any of T-K. I checked and to my surprise it was checked around again. The river brought the flush and I check/folded.

I guess my question is, my turn play was check/call, but should it have been bet/call:fold, only folding to a substantial re-raise. Something like, one caller, and then a pot raise.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Four to Broadway on turn

Being that you were out of position and potentially someone is free rolling I don't think that the check is terrible.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:10 PM

Check-calling here also gives you bluffing equity should you be heads-up after the turn with the river bringing an open pair.

If your read was that you were likely getting free-rolled, then checking is not a bad play.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:23 PM

Your analysis and play would most often be correct. However, the size of the pot relative to your and your opponents' stack sizes could sometimes make betting the turn correct. And an opponent the same straight and a set/two pair is also freerolling here, not just someone also with a flush draw to go along with the straight.