Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 AM

Default What to say to someone berating you online

I've had two cage-rattlers yesterday for the first time(!).

Once kept calling me a fish cos I drew him out with Q8off, the queen htting a AK84 flush at the river. The first 3 of the flush fell at the flop.

He was playing J4off, and had the J of the flush! So he really shoulda been looking in the mirror when crying 'fish'.

I gave him it back good (the win made me the chip leader by far), but he kept on and on the whole tourney, and it got boring.

The second guy in a STT I dumb-luck rivered with a crying call all-in. He trash-talked a bit, then said he wished me dead, and I should kill myself.

I reported the second one, obviously, but wondered if there's any good tips for handling the fish/trash talk in the first instance.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Re: What to say to someone berating you online

How about clicking "Summary without chat"
Old 07-18-2005, 08:00 AM

click their name and put them on ignore or just laugh at them.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about clicking "Summary without chat"

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I enjoyed initially cos it was fun to keep winding him up. But gets old quickly.

From now on, I'll take up your suggestion whenever it stops being fun.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:00 AM

i like twisting their words. i was playing a low limit game (25c/50c?) and 2 guys kept calling me names: fgt, [censored], gay, fish, donk, you name it they were calling me names, even though i said nothing to them at all.

so as one of them chimed in with the gay talk, i said, "what's wrong? looking for a new bf since your guy over there sucks at poker?" blah blah blah, they kept asking about my sexuality, so i kept asking them "why are you so interested in my sexuality?" it really bothered them, i played fine poker and emptied one guy at least 3 times.

find a way to twist their words and they will be more frustrated than they started..funny enough they seem to wanna bust you even more and call you a puxxy and stuff for folding hands. just be patient and take their money as they tilt xD
Old 07-18-2005, 09:18 AM

I like to let my chips do the talking for me.
I almost never have the chat on unless for some reason I am bored out of my mind and feel like chatting. However, its not healthy to do that when multi-tabling. I would say that I have the chat off 95% of the time or more.

I don't necessarily support the "tilt them so they stack off to you" approach. It might work in the short term, but I think that it is

1. unnecessary if you are a good player
2. drives other players away from the game by making poker less pleasant.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:31 AM

best advice ever. This works so well its absolutly halarious. These guys with the IQ of a house plant making middle school style insults just can't handle having it turned back around in any way shape or form. Its like in poker, if someone wants you to fold, you raise. If someone wants you to cry and be upset/mad and throw back mindless insults. Be calm, cool, and turn back what they say without directly insulting them, and never showing any sign of anger or stress.

have fun and gl.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:39 AM

Not only is "No player chat" mandatory for me in terms of not letting people get under my skin but also as a weapon against friendly chat. Too distracting with 4 tables.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Had a guy berate me for limping with pocket sixes making a set and then filling up by the river and taking a huge pot. Told me how far behind my sixes were to his AQo. Started making some comments about himself and my girlfriend. I just told him that I wasn't into chicks and I think that kinda weirded him out. Plus I think it made him think I was weak and push at me later.

Generally, I just go on and on about how lucky I was and that I am sorry for drawing out on you like that. That makes them feel better and keep coming back for more.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally, I just go on and on about how lucky I was and that I am sorry for drawing out on you like that. That makes them feel better and keep coming back for more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my most favorite +EV moves. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]