Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: How much $ per day for you to turn pro?

Actually, I was thinking that I'd be living off of the two year's worth of expenses that I save. Then everything I do with poker is building for a third year, and so on.

Because I have a family, I'd rather live off of guaranteed money than play for our nut every month (even with a year of backup cash). Going broke is not an option when I've got (other) mouths to feed.

But I suppose if I was single, 1 year would be plenty.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 PM

That would be fine too, as it's accomplishing the same thing.

It sounds like you are willing to do what is needed to provide for your family which is good. With 2 years worth of expenses, it's nearly impossible for you to go broke if you are a winning poker player.

I also recommend that you pay off any debt that you may have in order to reduce your monthly expenses as much as possible.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:37 PM

Whoa. I was going to ask you, PokerAce, why the hell you were having a serious forum conversation with yourself. Then I took a closer look at your avatar and realized it was two different avatars.

That's all.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 AM

$500 a day

Right now I make about 65k a year at my job and I hope to make an additional 25k a year in poker making this 90k a year keeping my job. I am about 13 years away from retirement(at age 45, present age 32) and have a pretty decent medical plan which I have to think would add at least 10k to this. If I were to go pro I would want at least 6 weeks off a year which would mean I'd have to make a 100k in 46 weeks. That brings me to $434/day. However, considering that I would likely get promotions in the next 13 years and the security of my job is nice I bring that up to $500 a day. I doubt I'll ever get good enough to go pro.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 AM

$1000-1500 a day. Seriously the opportunity cost of not starting a career or having residual income is worth at least that much. The no job security or benefits and large financial swings are also major issues.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For someone who have a decent paying job I think It would be about 500$ / day, five hours par day. Below that I think you are better part time if you dont hate your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right...if I quit my job and played 5/10NL live 5 days a week, full sessions I would want to clear ~2K/week to live comfortably.

I plan on moving to vegas next year but I will play poker only in a part-time spectrum since it would get very monotonous.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For someone who have a decent paying job I think It would be about 500$ / day, five hours par day. Below that I think you are better part time if you dont hate your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL LOL LOL.....

Now thats hillarious....I lived in Montreal for like 3 yrs and VERY few people not mention french people make 500 a day after taxes. Something like 220k per annum Canuckian(320 days per yr...exchange...). You can live so well in Montreal as a single man for like 80K canadian it is scary.

You can also have sex with alot of hot chicks and probably still collect Social insurance and get paid to learn French.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For me, to go pro, I'd want to play no more than 20 hrs a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get it....did like on the 2+2 gang say this in one of their obscure poker essays volume 14 books...because of the pros I know and have talked to as beginners they play-played in excess of 70 hours a week. Not only did they kind of receive a perverse pleasure from this but im sure it does wonders for live reads....
Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 AM

$150/hr * 30 hrs/week * 40 weeks/year = $180,000 = £100,000 tax free.

Spend £25,000/year
Save £75,000/year

Completely own a house in 3 years.

This is my plan. I plan to quit my job in 1 years time (when I should be very financially stable). The major gamble is that the games stay as good for the next 4 years. After that it's plain sailing.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$150/hr * 30 hrs/week * 40 weeks/year = $180,000 = £100,000 tax free.

Spend £25,000/year
Save £75,000/year

Completely own a house in 3 years.

This is my plan. I plan to quit my job in 1 years time (when I should be very financially stable). The major gamble is that I'll be commiting tax fraud . After that it's plain sailing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I reading this right? Maybe things are different in the UK. I wish you all the luck, bro. But please dear God don't get caught.