Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Ways to induce a call??

Live NL100 game at Commerce. The opponent in question plays loose, seems to take raises against him as "insults" and stares at the raiser before calling. I get the impression that he's got an ego involved and doesn't like to be raised off of a hand, and certainly doesn't like to fold.

My image, if he's noticed anything at all, is tight, making solid bets with good cards.

So, the hand in question is summarized like this:

I have 32o in the BB, 2-3 people limp, SB limps, I check.

Flop (pot is ~12) is 339 w/ 2 that are the same suit. I bet 10, he declares he has a 9 and calls, all others fold.

Turn is a brick (pot is ~32). I bet $40, intentionally overbetting, hopefully to get him to think I'm bluffing and that I'm challenging his statement that he has a 9. He thinks and thinks, declares that I must have a 3 because I was the BB, shows a 9, and folds.

This whole time he was thinking, I just basically stared at the table and never said anything, which is what I typically do when involved in a pot. So, the question is, what sorts of things could I have said or done to induce a call from him here?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Ways to induce a call??

This is more a small-stakes NL question, it seems like...

But...

Maybe a stop-and-go would've worked?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is more a small-stakes NL question, it seems like...

But...

Maybe a stop-and-go would've worked?

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean? My understanding of a stop and go is such that it doesn't apply, at all, to this situation.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:33 PM

Talk.

This is Mike Caro's point, and after trying it a few times, I think he's right. When the table feels tight, you've got a monster -- and you want to loosen it up against an emotionally unstable opponent -- jabber away about the hand in almost any direction. In fact to some extent, the more eccentric, the better.

In this case, I'd have considered any of the following:

a) Ahh, but what's your kicker?

b) No way. You're drawing to a 3-card double-gutshot straight, and I'm not going to let you get away with that.

c) That's impossible. There's a 9 on the board.

d) A 9? Nein is the German word for no. And that means that you certainly don't have a 9.

e) Boy, if we were playing baseball, we'd all have quads. Don't you respect quads? Get out of my hand.

You get the idea. What you want to do is get either the adrenaline flowing in the guy . . . or crank up his curiosity factor. (What on earth could that moron in the BB have?) Obviously at higher limits this is all a total waste of time and maybe counterproductive. But at low/mid games, it works nicely.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:03 PM

Maybe I don't understand it...ugh...today sucks...

Okay...after thinking about it, I have decided that I don't know what a stop-and-go means. I thought I did, but apparently I don't...so I'm nOObing it up today...what does it mean?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:51 PM

check the turn and let him bet the hand for you.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:18 PM

Here's my favorite:

"Dont call. You are a fool if you call. It will be embarrassing when I show these to the table."
Old 07-13-2005, 02:31 PM

A stop & go would be more along the lines of him raising me on the flop, I call, and bet out again on the turn, as opposed to checking it to him.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:31 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Why not induce a bet or a raise?

[ QUOTE ]
I bet $40, intentionally overbetting, hopefully to get him to think I'm bluffing and that I'm challenging his statement that he has a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a line from rounders. Specifically, the opening card scene.

In the whole session have you ever made a move like that with anything else and got caught? Probably not. Apparently he read you like a book. Not many are going to call that anyways since many arent' betting that much on a 2 street bluff.

Bet less, or even check it into him and get him to bet. If you have him on a 9, then you don't want the flush to come because that will kill your action.

Think of how he'd have played the trips. He might've bet big, or checked it the whole way. Play it differently than he would. You had a great opp to simulate like you were on a flush draw. Also, staring at the table like a church mouse can be a good sign that you 'want' him to call. Even though you might do it 'all the time', he likely only sees it during hands you're involved in with him. Just a thought.

b
Old 07-13-2005, 04:28 PM

you said... "Turn is a brick (pot is ~32). I bet $40, intentionally overbetting, hopefully to get him to think I'm bluffing and that I'm challenging his statement that he has a 9."

You also said "My image, if he's noticed anything at all, is tight, making solid bets with good cards"

Apparently you were aware of your table image, and so was your opponent. So he tells you that he has top 2 pair, and then you come out with a huge bet? How can you expect him to call? Why on earth would he think you were bluffing?

You dont want to induce a call here, there is not enough in the pot. Your move here would have been to check. Then let him bet at you (he thinks he's got the best hand)and then you agonize about your decisions and then call. Then of course you have to bet on the river, so put about half to 3/4 of the pot out there. Don't say a word, it would be out of character for you at this point and would arouse suspucion. Just stare at the table like you did.

Well that is my take on the situation.