Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: WSOP numbers off by $420,000

Some of those kids are probably just Gamboholicing their way to multiple entries and ignoring the first 12K. It's probably still +EV given the play caliber.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:05 AM

Dead people and seriously ill people can get refunds. This could be part of it.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:47 AM

So all a site has to do is fill a tournament with "seemingly" inelible players, and if one of them should happen to win everyone is f****ed?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Stop Your Crying...

Stars has their ass covered under T&C.It would be more productive to ELIMINATE the source of problem rather than trying to come up with a solution that is not going to please everybody. Example: fourth place finisher is not going to be happy because he got knocked out by underage kid and may have won.Why shouls second place get seat .

No underage kids playing.Problem solved.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:13 PM

Default An explanation from the WSOP TD

From this article on RGP.

Kevin...
Old 07-10-2005, 04:31 PM

well if you don't mind paying XXX dollars for a tourney and having no prize be awarded, you really must be a nice guy.

I guess I am more mercenary than that.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:35 PM

Default The situation last year

http://www.finaltablepoker.com/view_...?article_id=65

Since I think you have to register to see the site (even though it's no longer in operation), I'll quote the important part here:

[ QUOTE ]
Leaving the official, the non-official, and the financial reality aside for a moment, if you’ve been following along, you already understand the Day Four/Day Five dichotomy, because you already know about the two Day Ones. Unless you’ve located the following information elsewhere, you don’t know about the 2,576 vs. 2,536 dichotomy. The number of chips in play was so much LOWER than the number of players in play should have owned, just about $400,000, that I worried about some kind of chip miscount problem.

Nothing could be further from the truth. It turns out that the 30-40 players (nobody is ever going to know exactly how many; I’m going to explain the gulf in a moment) who were paid entries and whose stacks sat out there getting blinded off until they were gone (gosh, wouldn’t it have been nice to draw one of those tables) contributed to the lofty total.

I asked Tournament Director Matt Savage about this.

INTERNET LIKELY SOURCE OF NO-SHOWS

“It’s never happened before,” Savage said, “but looking back at it, in retrospect it shouldn’t be so surprising. A lot of the Internet companies had rules about playing only wearing their colors that you could have had some conflicts. You also could have had underage players win seats on the Internet and then realize they couldn’t come play. With the Internet contributing such a large percentage of the field, it really shouldn’t be that surprising.”

The reason no one is really sure about the number of non-starters is that after Day Four, the gap was $405,000, while after Day Five, the gap was $305,000, which makes it seem more likely that only 31 players failed to arrive, and that someone miscounted his chips AGAINST his own best interests on Day Four. Right now, the totals show $25,365,000 chips in play, while theoretically there should be $25,760,000.

Make sure you understand this. Chips have NOT been “imported” into the tournament. In a novel situation, there are fewer chips in play than there theoretically should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin...
Old 07-10-2005, 05:39 PM

Where did you find out that Stars took any money? If there were indeed any disqualified players it's Harrah's that will keep the money not Stars.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Put a different slant on it, I bubbled 6th with 5 paid seats in a party tournament, if one was underage, I'd like my deposit please. Just kidding but that would be Christmas in July if it worked. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 05:57 PM

I don't think the sites or Harrah's are confiscating any entry fees, if anything the underager's are just getting blinded off (atleast that is how it worked last year).