Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 06-18-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: What methods can we use to gather information from terrorists...

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, terrorism is no different tan any other crime

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be the dumbest most brainless jackass on earth.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, terrorism is no different tan any other crime

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be the dumbest most brainless jackass on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
The reasons behind it are similar. The effects on individuals are similar. Both create fear. Many similarities, few dissimilarities.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to risk my children being blown up at a shopping mall because 1000 guilty terrorists were set free.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I don't want to risk my children going to prison to help pacify your fear of terrorism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it seems to me that I am more afraid that a terroist will kill my children, while you are more afraid that the US Government will accidentally imprison your children.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to risk my children being blown up at a shopping mall because 1000 guilty terrorists were set free.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I don't want to risk my children going to prison to help pacify your fear of terrorism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it seems to me that I am more afraid that a terroist will kill my children, while you are more afraid that the US Government will accidentally imprison your children.

[/ QUOTE ]

American war of terror has killed more innocent people than terror has done (bombings in Iraq, Afghanistan, prisoner abuse etc.). I don't think even Donald Rumsfeld would deny that.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:27 AM

These are not tv show actors AC. These are terrorist.
They are not interested in stealing my watch or selling me crack.
They want to kill us.
Drug dealers want to make money. Thieves want to steal.
IMO sleep deprivation is a very good and safe way to get info.
I like the truth serum idea but i don't know if that exists or if it is a spy novel myth.
We didn't treat prisoners from WWI or WWII or Korea or Vietnam like criminals. Why should we treat these terrorists as criminals ?
Old 06-19-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Former LP Presidential candidate Harry Browne said essentially the same thing right after 9/11. The best way to make sure we catch the right people in terrorism is the same as how we ensure we get the right people in any other criminal investigation - adhere to the constitution.

That way we make sure no innocent people get imprisoned.

IMO, terrorism is no different tan any other crime - better 1,000 guilty people go free rather than 1 innocent person be imprisoned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with you most of the time but not here.
Terrorism is far different than any crime.
Terrorist have no goals other than killing.
The WTC terrorists only wanted to kill us.They didn't want to change us or scare us.
I'd like to err on the side of caution when it comes to terrorists killing women and children in our country.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:35 AM

Pedophiles want to molest little girls and boys. They are more likely to harm someone in your neighbourhood than a terrorist. There may be a few at it right now down the street.

Drug dealers are selling drugs to 13 year old students and 31 year old parents destroying lives and families. There may be afew down the street right now.

What we did in Korea, WW2 or Viet Nam is not relevant. Gitmo is not a POW camp either. Making it a POW camp would be acceptable.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrorism is far different than any crime.
Terrorist have no goals other than killing.
The WTC terrorists only wanted to kill us.They didn't want to change us or scare us.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on. This guy is a parody poster, right? It just doesn't seem possible that someone could be this naive/unread/misinformed.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:23 PM

Once you want injustice to be done, or see injustice as an acceptable consequence, you've effectively lost your argument even if you were right. Do you see why 'innocent until proven guilty' is a principle of courts in the United States? Not because it's 'right', but because once you begin thinking that doing injustice (i.e. wrongful imprisonment) is better than not doing justice, you can end up destabilizing your society by angering the families and friends of those done wrong. Do it enough times, and it will require tyranny and fear to keep down the populace.

This is exactly the policy the United States is pursuing in the Middle East. Once you begin imprisoning and torturing the innocent, you cannot let them go back and tell their story. You're saying this is being 'safe'. I think it's a foolish policy promulgated by foolish men who've forgotten important history lesson: people who feel they're going to die or be tortured in a prison will fight as hard as possible even if they know they will end up dead.

Whatever information these people hold cannot be valid now, haven't they been there for almost three years? But they can't be let go.. even if they were innocent when they got there, they won't be when they get out.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:04 PM

considering this is the guy who said "we've only tortured to death 2 people" and doesn't think its torture unless you're severing limbs... I think you're being a little too thoughtful and rationale for him to comprehend.