Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 05:24 PM

Default 7CSFAP - Starting Hands

I recently got my copy of 7CSFAP, and was reading it eagerly to try to remove any faults that Roy West may have sneaked into my game. There were a couple of concepts that I found slightly surprising, and I wondered if anyone could explain further. Let's assume that we're playing an average 5/10 game on party, with a relatively normal mix of up-cards.

The first one is if I have a three flush including an overcard against a completion eg 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] when the raiser has, say Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] showing. 7CSFAP seems to suggest that I want to play this heads-up. I can see that I do well here if I end up with Aces up, but I would have thought that the best play is to flat call, hoping to keep things multi-way if possible, and then trying to reduce the field if and when I hit the Ace.

The other thing that I'm not sure about is whether and how to play hands like 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Let's assume that 4s and As are fully live - if not, then I probably don't play.

What should I do with this hand if:
i. I'm first to act after the bring-in.
ii. I'm in the middle, after a couple of limpers.
iii. It's a full bet to me.
iv. After a Q completes and a K re-raises.

If I ever limp with this, do I then generally call a completion?

The obvious next question would be how far to play this. I know that it (obviously) depends on the players, cards and whether they improve or not, but some hints on what's theoretically sound would be useful.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: 7CSFAP - Starting Hands

[ QUOTE ]

The first one is if I have a three flush including an overcard against a completion eg 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] when the raiser has, say Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] showing. 7CSFAP seems to suggest that I want to play this heads-up. I can see that I do well here if I end up with Aces up, but I would have thought that the best play is to flat call, hoping to keep things multi-way if possible, and then trying to reduce the field if and when I hit the Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you may have misread.. I think they recommend raising with 2 over cards to your opponents up card... ie, if u had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and your opponent had a queen up...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:13 PM

Simon, what page did you read that on?
Old 08-21-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Simon, what page did you read that on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pages 17-18.

"In addition, there are some hands which don't appear to be good heads-up, but actually should be played that way, or at least they should be played in a way that thins down the field. This is true partially because it is better mathematically, and partially because it may help you get a free card. For instance, if you have the low card, three or four people limp, a high card raises, and you have an ace high three-flush, reraise almost every time - especially if your cards are live. We will see shortly that three-flushes normally prefer multiway pots. However, a live ace can make a difference. If you have two overcards over the raiser you should always reraise."
Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
three or four people limp, a high card raises, and you have an ace high three-flush, reraise almost every time - especially if your cards are live

[/ QUOTE ]

A few things can happen here. All of which are good.

- everyone calls and you get a monster pot with a hand that does very well multiway
- a few people fold but you are still getting multiway action and you have a good shot at a free card
- It gets heads up but with a bunch of dead money in the center to make up for the fact that you will win less than 50% of the time
- You win on a fluke

- This also makes it harder to play against you.

Keep in mind that 7CSFAP is written with a slightly higher ante game in mind (also with smaller BI)
Old 08-21-2005, 10:46 PM

Be careful of following this book too closely. There really aren't any good books on stud. Therefore, the book Theory of Poker by Skalansky and Malmuth is must reading. Read it once. Read it twice. Read it in the shower. Read it during sex.

Meanwhile, after you study the hand comparison charts in the back of the book which show how certain hands do against other hands, which is a very useful part of the book, take the book, get a nice camp fire going and roast some good marshmellows, and if the fire dies down perhaps you can get the copy from some of your friend's if they have it too. This book will not make you into a good player. It will take a marginal player and make him a less marginal player. Get Theory of Poker instead.

The best way to learn to play stud poker is to watch an excellent player play. Good luck on your journey.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:20 PM

How can I be more involved in your life?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best way to learn to play stud poker is to watch an excellent player play. Good luck on your journey.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far, the majority of your posts have taken a rather authoritative "I'm right and you're wrong" tone, without you giving clear reasoning or arguments for the plays you advocate. If, as you say, we should be looking to emulate the play of excellent players... then perhaps you should give us a reason to think you're an excellent player, if you aren't going to share your reasoning for your plays.

No one is arguing that the guidelines in 7CSFAP should be followed verbatim in every circumstance. But for every definite guideline set down, questions arise where we're trying to understand the reasoning behind what Sklansky, Malmuth, and Zee are saying.

Responding to an enquiry about the reasoning for a specific guideline in 7CSFAP by saying "you shouldn't follow these guidelines too closely, and you can only become good by playing and watching excellent players" is a rather unhelpful observation.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, to reiterate (and maybe elaborate a little) on what jon_1van said (to make sure I understand)... Every (reasonable) possible outcome of your raise is +EV. You're about a 60/40 dog heads up with a pair of Q's, and the dead money in the pot (in addition to the fact you've taken control of the hand and will likely get free cards heads up) makes it profitable to play the hand. If, instead, everyone calls your raise, you've now got a large pot with high pot equity. When you have that A or two overcards, a reraise when there are limpers before the raise is +EV.

Am I getting this right, jon_1van and others?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The other thing that I'm not sure about is whether and how to play hands like 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Let's assume that 4s and As are fully live - if not, then I probably don't play.

What should I do with this hand if:
i. I'm first to act after the bring-in.
ii. I'm in the middle, after a couple of limpers.
iii. It's a full bet to me.
iv. After a Q completes and a K re-raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

i. If you're first to act, it completely depends on the board and the opponents, and how often hands are multi-way or heads up. There definitely isn't any one good rule, except that you definitely want to get this one heads up on 3rd or 4th. That is your immediate objective, so, based on what the game you're in is like, you want to do whatever you have to to get it heads up. One possible good policy: if there is only one face card (or zero) on the board, go ahead and raise and see what develops.

ii. If you're in the middle after a few limpers, it's a lot harder (in general) to get it heads up. There are too many variables to come up with a good rule... but you're usually going to fold.

iii. If it's a full bet from one card under an A, then this is the ideal situation to reraise to try to keep it heads up. The only time you don't do this is if you have two or more facecards left to act behind you--in this case, you may fold, unless you think you can get it heads up with strong play on 4th (so it depends on the opponents).

iv. Same principle as before--if you think you can get it heads up, go for it. If you've got a couple of loose opponents, though, the odds of getting them to lay down their big pairs is low enough that you'll probably end up getting the worst of it. This is usually a fold.