Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: deep-stack 5-10 hand: JJ out of position

Hey Mike,

[ QUOTE ]
you summed up a lot of my thoughts wrt my pf decision here. against most ppl i reraise, but against a good thinking lag i think it's a bad spot to do so, esp with 430bb stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, the depth of the stacks is the reason that reraising here is probably best.

[ QUOTE ]
i'd rather reraise here with 86s than with JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why that would be the case against the opponent in question. 86s is going to be much harder to play out of position against this player with super-deep stacks than JJ. Not to mention that JJ is the better hand intrinsically.

[ QUOTE ]
so, yeah, i butchered this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop was iffy, but flop and turn looked pretty good to me...

Hope it worked out.

ML4L
Old 11-28-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check/call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Including a push from Villain?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I check/call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Including a push from Villain?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is about 1.3k, villain has 3.7k left.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Why does re-raising a guy who is raising 50% of his hands "define your hand"? If he happens to wake up with a better hand this time, that's his reward for being so aggressive. You'll get him back the times he doesn't have a big hand - which will be much more often given how aggressive he is.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:26 PM

no, i'm probably not calling a push on the river.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Hi Mike,

[ QUOTE ]
but if my preflop intent was to play a smaller pot with a difficult hand oop, i then went ahead and built a big one postflop anyhow...so, yeah, i butchered this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. As ML4L recommended, I would tend to reraise with stacks this deep, whereas with 1000 to 2000, I'd probably call. You didn't mention how well this guy plays post-flop, though; can he ever take his foot off the gas? Has he made any tough laydowns that you know of? How about tough calls where he genuinely considered folding (as opposed to making a "tough call" because he never folds)? These are the things I'd be thinking about before "defining" my hand.

I'd be re-raising this guy very often if he played well, and only with my good hands if he played poorly, so in either case, I don't think a reraise would define my hand very clearly in my opponent's mind. You generally play tighter than me, though, so perhaps a reraise does help to pinpoint your hand, which of course you particularly don't want when you're as vulnerable as JJ.

Your post-flop play seems fine, and I'd bet 400 probably, and be willing to call a raise of around 1000 in many cases (so hard to say without being there). Alternatively, check-call up to a pot-bet or so; you may be beat, but you're getting decent enough odds to pay off this dude IMO. If he's somewhat bad, though, I think checking leaves too much out there when he'll just call 400 with a 9.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Okay....

In my opinion this is a tell here, Will put it in qoutes.

he says, "are you pulling a move?".

Typically when someones asks this type of thing he is wanting to keep you in the hand.

6/6/, a/3, 3/x or even 3/3 are possibilities...you left out the river action so hard to comment if he has a monster..it does appear like he is trapping you though.

You have to re-raise pre flop here big, like 130-175 min. thats a nice flop for J/J, pot it and go from there..
Old 11-28-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As ML4L recommended, I would tend to reraise with stacks this deep, whereas with 1000 to 2000, I'd probably call.

[/ QUOTE ]
hi cero, could you or ml4l go into this a bit further? i'm much more willing to play for my stack with an overpair-type hand when i only have 100bb's, i'd like to hear why you feel differently.

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't mention how well this guy plays post-flop, though; can he ever take his foot off the gas? Has he made any tough laydowns that you know of? How about tough calls where he genuinely considered folding (as opposed to making a "tough call" because he never folds)? These are the things I'd be thinking about before "defining" my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think he plays quite well. i saw him lay down KT on a KTxxQ board when he got raised all-in on the river, correctly folding to KQ; i saw him follow thru with big bluffs with missed draws after he sensed weakness; he gives action so he gets action, but he's no donk.

[ QUOTE ]
You generally play tighter than me, though, so perhaps a reraise does help to pinpoint your hand, which of course you particularly don't want when you're as vulnerable as JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
i do usually play rather tight, which is why i'd rather reraise an 86s in this situation, since i think it would also improve my shania.

some other reasons i'd prefer reraising with a mid-suited-connector type hand against him:

with JJ, i don't really want to play a big pot unless i hit a set. at the same time, however, it's such a strong hand that i would hate having to give it up when faced with a lot of aggression.

with 86s, on the other hand, i can still play the flop like i have a big pair such as JJ, or AK, and i wouldn't even mind an ace-high flop, whereas with JJ i wouldn't like an ace-high flop at all. i can easily toss 86s with no regret if i get called on the flop c-bet or meet much resistance/aggression. however, if i do flop hard with 86s, it's well-disguised, and there are more ways to flop something that i'd want to play a big pot with, other than just hitting a set. and as mentioned it broadens my hand range.

for instance, i played back at him later in the session with Q4s, flopped mid-pr with the Q and a flush draw, and managed to get back most of what i lost to him in this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Your post-flop play seems fine, and I'd bet 400 probably, and be willing to call a raise of around 1000 in many cases (so hard to say without being there). Alternatively, check-call up to a pot-bet or so; you may be beat, but you're getting decent enough odds to pay off this dude IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
as this hand actually played out, i think my river decision was very questionable. i ended up betting 600, he quickly raised me to 1500. i'm getting almost 3 to 1, but i just felt like i got suckered in (esp given his verbal tell on the flop, as someone mentioned), and reluctantly folded. i felt immediately afterwards that the right play was to check-call, but i'm not sure how much i should call: a pot-bet? 1k? half-pot? i can't see myself calling a push.