Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much?
$0 55 29.41%
~$10 22 11.76%
~$25 24 12.83%
~$50 27 14.44%
~$75 4 2.14%
~$100 13 6.95%
~$150 4 2.14%
>$150 38 20.32%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Anyway to get away from this?

I was wondering if anyone thinks there is a way of getting away from this hand, or is villian simply bound to double up at this point?

Here is the situation: It's late in a MTT; about 100 started, top 9 get paid, real money is in the top 4 or 5 spots. Hero has been showing down some good hands and is the chip leader. There are about 15 players left. Hero is on the button and has raised when folded to on the button several times, but not excessively. Villian has been playing pretty solid, but likes to pick his spots. He has never come over the top of Hero's possible steals and often folds preflop or later in the hand.

Blinds are at 400/800 with a 100 ante. Hero has about 27,000 on the button, Villian has about 11,000 in the big blind. It's folded to Hero, who raises to 2,400. The small blind folds and Villian flat calls.

Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and Villian checks. Pot has about 5,700 and hero bets 4,000. Villian raises all-in.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Anyway to get away from this?

It's gutsy to bet 4000 without looking at my cards, but when Villain goes all in, I think it's time to find out what I've got.

Can you edit the post so we know the hand?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2005, 08:04 PM

I would say you need at least 6 or 7 outs to call, you can still fold and have a healthy stack.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:20 PM

without any cards, i make the big laydown here...what'd you have?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:22 PM

I look at my cards and call with the awesome 85o, which probably really pisses of villain with his AK
Old 07-11-2005, 08:07 AM

Ha ha ha ha - sorry! Hero was dealt pocket tens.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:09 AM

Default HERO\'S CARDS!

It's past the edit time, but in case anyone was wondering Hero was dealt pocket tens. Sorry I left that out of the OP.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:45 AM

Not once you bet 4000 on the flop. When Villian c/r's you he's only got 4500 more behind so you are getting 13700:4500 or pretty much exactly 3:1 to call. So you only have to win 1 time in 4 to break even, which means you pretty much must call.

That being said, if this player has been playing ABC poker without getting tricky, you can lead the flop for less (40-50% of pot is about right), and if he c/r's you you know you're beaten BY THIS OPPONENT.

If the opponent is tricky/aggro at all, though, I still call.

Note that this is actually a bad undercard board for you. There's no obvious flush or straight draws, so that makes a semibluff unlikely.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing here. I knew that he was playing solid and he would only call with either big cards or a halfway decent pair (or better). That said, he will pretty much always check any flop. A smallish bet he will call with something like AK I think since he has called in the past and then folded for a bet on the turn or river (so I'm thinking he only had high cards) in a spot like this. Given this, I knew that I had to lead at this flop and I probably have to put more money into the pot if say a Q falls.

I guess betting less would have been the right move in hindsight. However, I see him check-raising w/ hands like A8 or 77 OR if he wants to make a stand with an unimproved AK (not too likely) OR if he thinks that I myself only has an unimproved AK and won't call a CR.

I'm adding this one to my book of poker mistakes. I think that I adapt TOO much for internet play and do not adapt well re: giving credit to more solid players even when I am getting good pot odds. In sum, a t3,000 bet would probably have been sufficient - can you get away from the CR then? I think so...
Old 07-11-2005, 11:09 AM

Agree with durron...you pot-committed yourself with the flop bet. There's just too great a chance that you're up against overcards or a lower pair in this spot to fold.