Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 10:40 PM

Default F-U-C-L-A

Anyone watching UCLA getting their asses handed to them by Arizona?!?!

What the hell is going on?

Either way I'm happy about it because it gives Oregon a pretty good chance to go to a BCS game.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: F-U-C-L-A

[ QUOTE ]

Either way I'm happy about it because it gives Oregon a pretty good chance to go to a BCS game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 10:46 PM

If Oregon is undefeated other than the loss to USC then I think we're in. I haven't followed all the changes, but if it's as it's been the last few years that should be the case.

If UCLA also only lost to USC then it would have been unlikely.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:11 PM

USC, Texas, Alabama, West Virginia, Notre Dame, and Penn State are in if they win out. The VTech/Miami winner (MIAMI) will also be in as ACC champ. This leaves 1 spot for Georgia/LSU/Ohio State/Oregon/VTech. Oregon is last among these 5 right now, and it is very possible for Ohio state to win out, so I am not optimistic about Oregon's BCS chances. Also, 1 loss VTech will probably still be ahead of them.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Georgia/LSU/Ohio State/Oregon/VTech

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine analysis, I just think it's quite likely that these teams don't win out. Also, VT losing late would probably push them below Oregon based on polls though the computers would probably be in their favor either way.

I suppose I was overly optimistic above, but UCLA losing drastically improves our chances in any case.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:14 AM

Oregon has virtually no shot of a BCS bowl. Sorry. Enjoy your trip to the Holiday Bowl.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
USC, Texas, Alabama, West Virginia, Notre Dame, and Penn State are in if they win out. The VTech/Miami winner (MIAMI) will also be in as ACC champ. This leaves 1 spot for Georgia/LSU/Ohio State/Oregon/VTech. Oregon is last among these 5 right now, and it is very possible for Ohio state to win out, so I am not optimistic about Oregon's BCS chances. Also, 1 loss VTech will probably still be ahead of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think Alabama wins out. They've had to win a lot of close games, and if you have to get too many bounces to go your way, suddenly they can go against you, especially when they have to face LSU and Auburn, their two biggest tests of the season.

USC is in (two games against Cal and UCLA are not going to be cakewalks, but I expect wins). West Virginia (or some other Big East crappy team) has to be in. PSU is in. Miami's in if they win out. Texas is in.

SEC is pretty muddled, but there are a lot of key games over the next few weeks. When all is said and done, I really doubt that Alabama remains undefeated after hosting LSU and going to Auburn, so the loser of the SEC Title Game should have 2 losses, and the SEC hasn't been as tough as the Big Ten this year.

So, with all that pretty much locked in, you have:
Virginia Tech (only one loss to Miami, and they've looked good otherwise)
Oregon
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Texas Tech (they still only have 1 loss to the #2/#1 team in the country)

I think that's pretty much what happens. Lastly, USC and Texas for the title game unless one of them loses, in which case the BCS is going to cringe...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:52 AM

Good analysis.

The reason I feel we have a shot is, as you pointed out, that the SEC and ACC championship games will put one team in automatically and most likely put the other team at two losses.

Other than Notre Dame who would get through for financial/marketing reasons as well as their tough schedule I think Oregon has a good shot at going in over the 2 loss teams. Ohio State obviously is ranked higher but they also still have to play Michigan in the big house. If they can win that and beat NW next week they will likely make it ahead of the ducks.

Overall it's going to be a more interesting BCS selection than usual. Usually there is controversy at the top which I think this year won't happen barring an upset loss by USC or Texas. Alabama winning out would be quite impressive though. The other games are more impressive as there are a lot of solid 1 loss teams as well as a higher than usual amount of also very good 2 loss teams.

Of course any number of things could make this boring or more controversial. Many of these teams have rivalry games coming up which could easily knock them out even if their rivals aren't particularly good this year.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:07 AM

(I was wrong about what I posted.)