Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: This final table commentary with Greenstein and Raymer..

Greg isn't exactly a slouch, tournament-wise.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, 13-2,
Old 09-19-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i, personally, don't have a problem with Barry being arrogant [i didn't listen to the final table commentary so don't know if he was or not], it's no different from the arrogance that players like David Sklansky and Daniel Negreanu display at times. they are all world-class players who have won at every level they've played. frankly, i have more of a problem with players who have alot farther to go in their experience and play who display alot more arrogance than what you all seem to feel Barry exhibited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ego is a big part of poker - to the point where humble players like Greg are generally applauded just for not being entirely full of themselves.

The issue was that Greg is a great tournament player, and Barry was on a crusade to remind people that he rocks the Big Game daily. As was said, Barry would say things like "That won't work in the big games" either to make Raymer look inferior to him or to make himself look superior to everyone. Yeah, OK Barry, now let's talk about the tournament that you're supposed to be discussing.

I was getting frustrated just listening, I'm not sure how Raymer handled it so well. If I were him I would've opened everything I said with "As a World Series Main Event champion..."

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with your statement that "ego is a big part of poker". I think the "winning attitude" has a lot to do with the success these guys have. They think they are the best and then set out to play like the best.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

keyword [major].
Old 09-19-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i, personally, don't have a problem with Barry being arrogant [i didn't listen to the final table commentary so don't know if he was or not], it's no different from the arrogance that players like David Sklansky and Daniel Negreanu display at times. they are all world-class players who have won at every level they've played. frankly, i have more of a problem with players who have alot farther to go in their experience and play who display alot more arrogance than what you all seem to feel Barry exhibited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ego is a big part of poker - to the point where humble players like Greg are generally applauded just for not being entirely full of themselves.

The issue was that Greg is a great tournament player, and Barry was on a crusade to remind people that he rocks the Big Game daily. As was said, Barry would say things like "That won't work in the big games" either to make Raymer look inferior to him or to make himself look superior to everyone. Yeah, OK Barry, now let's talk about the tournament that you're supposed to be discussing.

I was getting frustrated just listening, I'm not sure how Raymer handled it so well. If I were him I would've opened everything I said with "As a World Series Main Event champion..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry: "and other than that, what else have you won? oh, and before you answer, what else major have you won?"
Old 09-19-2005, 06:47 PM

I win 3 out of 10 normally and I'm not even really that good. But then again I am only playing the $5 tournaments and winning those doesn't require looking away from the giant images on my TV screen very often.
And I do still leave the home.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:48 PM

I don't care how successful you are in either tournaments or cash games--there's no need to act like an arrogant jerk.

Barry has seemingly gone from the Robin Hood of Poker lately and morphed into an arrogant jerk, all within the last couple weeks. Or maybe he has always been an arrogant jerk.

Whatever the case, I wish he would zip it up and learn a little something called humility.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I win 3 out of 10 normally and I'm not even really that good. But then again I am only playing the $5 tournaments and

[/ QUOTE ]

Over what sample size. This equates to a 50% ROI and that's without factoring 2nd and 3rds.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whatever the case, I wish he would zip it up and learn a little something called humility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why his humbleness is so important. Furthermore it makes the show more entertaining.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:22 PM

guys dont hate on a legend of cash games