Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 03:35 PM

Default 30/60 bellagio, JJ

this is a friend of mine's hand. He posts here every so often and wanted feed back on this hand.

utg+2 is a lagtard

MP1 is a good solid player. From the looks of it, he either knows roy cooke real well, or is one of his students. He hasn't done anything out of line so far

utg+2 opens, MP1 three bets, Hero calls from the button with JJ, utg+2 calls

flop: 9 2 9r

utg+2 checks, MP1 bets, Hero raises, utg+2 calls, MP1 three bets, hero calls

my friend noted to me that he was considering folding to the three bet on the flop

turn: K

utg+2 checks, MP1 bets, hero?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: 30/60 bellagio, JJ

I would have 4-bet pre-flop. This could have gotten rid of UTG+2 and maybe better defined MP1's hand, since there is a 5-bet cap at the Bellagio.

One thing I wouldn't do on the turn is call. I can see folding, since it's likely J-J is no good. I can also see raising: MP1 might have T-T, which your friend can beat, or Q-Q, and MP1 might lay it down. The problem is UTG+2 is still in the hand and who knows what he has.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:19 PM

hey andy

[ QUOTE ]
I would have 4-bet pre-flop. This could have gotten rid of UTG+2 and maybe better defined MP1's hand, since there is a 5-bet cap at the Bellagio

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a flop raise would define MP1's hand a lot better than a 4 bet preflop. He wont cap queens and he may decide to get tricky with aces sinse he knows the pot is going to be short.

By calling I also let MP1 keep the lead and allow me to raise good flops to force UTG+2 to call two cold. If I 4-bet preflop everyone has odds to peel. The pots already going to be big.

I figured he wouldnt 3-bet me on the flop with anything I could beat. I like the idea of raising for a free showdown but im not sure if he would fold enough to risk 2 more bets.

EDIT:

Also, raising the flop is more likely to fold overs in a big pot (i think i mentioned that), if MP1 is 3-betting light, thats more reason to just call that way we can get it heads up on the flop against someone who is 3-betting light. Raising the flop instead of preflop also gives us the initiative postflop that way if the flop comes down something like Q75 and someone bets we can raise and take control of the hand as to where if we 4-bet preflop and had the same flop we would have to lead out...what do we do if we get raised?

-Chris
Old 11-13-2005, 04:49 PM

IMO this is a must raise preflop, not just becuz you have the 4th best hand in the game and that given the preflop action, you are very likely to have the best hand. More important than all of this, you must 3 bet to keep the blinds out of this hand. By 3betting you are more likely to keep the pot 3 handed or less, and this is exremely important with a hand like JJ. On the flop, a raise is standard, and folding to a reraise is out of the question since you have the implied odds to spike a jack on the turn. On the turn I would fold here, But a raise also makes sense if you think the solid player will fold QQ or TT. Calling the turn is out of the question.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:55 PM

it already has been three bet, the PF question is whether or not we should 4 bet(vegas has a 5 bet cap) or call cold like we did
Old 11-13-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it already has been three bet, the PF question is whether or not we should 4 bet(vegas has a 5 bet cap) or call cold like we did

[/ QUOTE ]
My mistake, thanx for pointing that out, that changes a lot, I would now just call the 3 bet, since I would assume the blinds will fold out anyways and I like the strategic advantage of being able to raise a good flop, but I also think 4 betting it isnt a bad option either.