Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What sushi roll should I try?
Philadelphia roll (avocado cream cheese, fish roe & smoked salmon) 6 17.65%
Crab tempura roll (deep fried crabmeat & cucumber inside) 14 41.18%
Salmon skin roll (broiled salmon & scallions) 5 14.71%
California roll (avocado, crabmeat, cucumber & fish roe) 9 26.47%
Boston roll (avocado, lettuce, mayo & shrimp) 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs?

gl [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I want to take my SNG money making adventure nice and slow, and if I can double up this year, then I'll look to moving up and multi-tabling...I hope to catch up with y'all some day [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 10:57 AM

If I was forced to play online poker in the city I would never leave my job for it. The fact that I can play online poker anywhere in the world while setting my own hours has me seriously considering punting a high paying equity research position.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:23 AM

I used to be a clinical psychologist (NC license #2440). But the North Carolina Psychology Board and I came to an agreement that, if I let my license expire, then they would bury the complaint against me in a large landfill.

So now I practice without a license. It's great being free of all ethical constraints.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does being a grad student count? It's almost like a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, he he he he, ha ha ha ha haw haw he ha ha ha!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Being a *serious* grad student is prolly one of the most difficult jobs out there. You have to bust your ass to earn the respect of students who are barely younger than you, and once you've graded their papers you have to somehow find the energy to motivate yourself into doing ridiculous amounts of original research.

I could go on, but my point is that it's exceedingly silly to think that grad students have it easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats if you want to be a teacher or whatever right? Like the grad students that teach the biology labs. Just being a graduate student doesnt mean you have to do all that [censored] does it

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to teach sections whether or not you want to become a professor. The brightest and most ambitious grad students may also have opportunities to give lectures.

Sure, it's easy to get away with being a slacker when you're a grad student...nobody's gonna care that you're destroying your career prospects...in fact, they're not always unhappy to see you fail, seeing as everyone's competing for the same few spots at the best universities.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not necessarily true, plenty of grad students are not involved with teaching undergraduate students. I am finishing up my thesis at the end of my Masters program right now (damn you poker, it should be done) and I was one of 3 graduate assistants in a program of 25-30 people. We were the only 3 that had anything to do with teaching and for the most part we only had to grade tests/quizzes or cover the occasional class when the professor was out of town.

As a grad student you only have to teach if you receive an assistantship, which is great if you can get it, but not all schools can afford to give all of their students these as they usually come with free tuition and/or a stipend. If you are getting a PhD it is much more common that you have to teach than if you are getting a Masters, however.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you are getting a PhD it is much more common that you have to teach than if you are getting a Masters, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the field and how far along you are. In the sciences, you generally try and get out of TAing and get a research assistantship position fairly quickly. But you frequently do teach for at least a little while.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:56 AM

I'm a systems administrator for a chemical company here in Houston and the pay sucks. IT market is saturated and it's very hard to find a job. I love playing poker but I mainly play it as a second job. My short term goal is to make $500/month playing part time.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:11 PM

I'm a purchasing coordinator (don't ask) putting in around 50+ a week. My girlfriend and I are in the process of buying a salon so I can quit my current job and support my poker habit. She's a keeper! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Work smarter, not harder. One $150 digital thermometer with a serial output and a salvaged computer later, I'm hard at work in the lab and in my office at the same time. Maybe that's the difference between a technical field and, um, the other kind... the kind with words in it.

SlimP

[/ QUOTE ]

Digital...huh? Wha? Let us into your world, Slim!

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the older people in scientific research are facinated by the younger generation's ability to automate tedious tasks. When I was doing my Maters research, my advisor thought the best way to take temperature data was to sit in front of the equipment for 18 straight hours and write down numbers. Somehow, he thought I was some sort of genium for coming up with a better way. It was like he thought I was the first person to ever think of doing that.

SlimP
Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a systems administrator for a chemical company here in Houston and the pay sucks. IT market is saturated and it's very hard to find a job. I love playing poker but I mainly play it as a second job. My short term goal is to make $500/month playing part time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was 500/week??
Old 06-28-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was 500/week??

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: It is $500/week. Won't let me go back and edit it.