Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Early tournament play

Still looking to fix my numerous leaks early on in tournaments....
6th or 7th hand of tourney, 10/20 blinds, I'm at T1480 after paying and folding my BB last hand.
So far, the table is a limpfest preflop, with a decent amount of action postflop (already a couple of big pots broke out).

I pick up 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the small blind.

6 limpers, I complete, BB checks. Pot: T160

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, checked around

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet T80, 5 folds, 6th player raises the minimum to T160, I fold

Boring hand I realize...just wanted some thoughts here, since I feel clueless early in tourneys. Am I leaking chips with a bet like this, or is it worth it this early to try to build my stack?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Early tournament play

I think this is a classic probe bet situation; and you have the added benefit of representing a 5 in the hole since you are in the blind. I would have made the probe bet on the flop (T50 probably gets the job done). I think a flop bet better "represents" a 5 (since I would be interested in building a pot with a set, wouldnt I?). If raised, I probably release. If called, I would check the turn -- now a player with a K is risking a reraise if I do have the 5 and might check behind. This play may not have changed the outcome of the hand for you -- but I think you have a better chance of seeing the river card (which was the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]!).

By checking the flop, I think you announce that you dont have the 5, and then embolden other pairs and the K's.