Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2002, 10:27 AM

Default Advice, please.

I'm in mp, new full table, low limit internet hold'em

EP calls, I raise with AsQs, LP reraises, EP calls, I call

pot is 5.25bb

flop is AcKhQc

EP checks, I bet, LP calls, EP calls

pot is 6.75bb

turn is Jh (AcKhQc)

EP checks, I bet, LP calls, EP check-raises, I call, LP calls

pot is 12.75bb

river is Kd (AcKhQc Jh)

EP bets

what should I do now, please? should I have played differently earlier?

thank you for any comments

Old 09-17-2002, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Advice, please.

Mike,

I think you can fold on the river, but you had to see the river. I would have played it the same way as you did. I don't think you can check the turn and give a flush draw a freebie, but when you're raised you have to be behind. An A, a Q or a T get's you out of it though so you can't fold there. At first I would have been worried about AK, but I don't think so now. Probably a straight (AT or KT the most likely.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:20 PM

You should fold now Mike but I imagine you called. Depending on the player who checkraised you I most likely would have folded to him on the turn. With perhaps 6 clean outs to win and 3 tens to tie a call to the checkraise is close but not out of line. This is when you must know what your opposition would need to checkraise you with.

Jimbo
Old 09-17-2002, 05:50 PM

You've got a fold here on the river. What semblance of a hand you had on the turn is now completely counterfeited and you have someone yet to act behind you.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:09 AM

Default Result.

thank you very much for your considered replies - i thought it was an interestingly "dangerous" position that we could all find ourselves in at some stage, which is why i brought it to your attention

in fact, it was semi-hypothetical as, luckily for me, we were all wussies, and actually no one did bet the river, so i got a free look at the cards

EP had JdTh, and was either trying a brave check-raise, or had been very slow-playing his flopped top straight, thought he had left it too long, suddenly become afraid of AA, KK, AK, KQ, KJ, QQ, or JJ, and decided discretion instead of valour by continuing his check-call mode

LP was bringing up a distant rear with QdJc

i think i would have folded if EP had bet, fearing a raise from LP, ironically, and a reraise from EP
Old 09-18-2002, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Result.

Hi Mike,

You said"i thought it was an interestingly "dangerous" position that we could all find ourselves in at some stage, which is why i brought it to your attention." Somehow I do not think I will ever find myself in this position. When the J comes on the turn it is time to check/call a single bet not bet out and certainly fold to the reraise. But it was still a good example of how not to play AQ after being reraised preflop!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo