Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Interesting AA post by Garland from medium stakes

[ QUOTE ]
Aggie, You missed your set and your facing a large hand on a large board. You aren't the least bit worried your walking into a trap c/r?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 22 and missed my set....Sure i'm worried about a c/r but i can't win if i don't bet so i bet anyway. When i get checkraised i have a very easy decision. It's basically like a continuation bet when you brick the flop. Sure somebody might have flopped something but you don't know that unless you bet to find out.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:12 AM

Man, Garland was just castigating me for folding a nut flush on a paired board, but at least I was facing a reraise there.

This is baffling.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:21 AM

There are players I might make this fold against as well but I've played a hell of a lot more than 345 hands with them.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:36 AM

why is this cross posted?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:40 AM

What does villian think that Garland has when Garland checks the flop?

-SmileyEH
Old 12-11-2005, 01:47 AM

i like it.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:10 AM

this hand is appalling. is an explanation even required?

fine, here's one: the preflop calling range of a random opponent with those stats includes *almost every hand he raised preflop*. You can profitably bet this flop to win the existing pot when expecting no action from worse hands. You can almost certainly expect action from AK (hey, a worse hand!) because AK calls ~50%+ preflop and puts more money in on this flop 100% of the time. check-folding is just bizarre.

i don't know any game online where people are only calling reraises from random players with QQ+. if you think for some reason that your opponent can put you squarely on AA-QQ when you reraise preflop and play accordingly, uhm, adjust. it takes a sophisticated read to make the play garland made on this flop (tons of info is required), and you just don't have that in most situations. if garland had it he shouldn't have posted the hand.

is this an actual q? i mean, wtf?

and, uh, your opponent can call without sufficient "implied odds" when he has position and you've shown a willingness to fold when faced with resistance or pressure on a significant % of flops w/your 'preflop reraise' hand range. his post-flop 'steal/fold equity'is more than enough to make up for whatever he loses by not making a superior hand and getting paid often enough.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:42 AM

You have some good points, but:

[ QUOTE ]
the preflop calling range of a random opponent with those stats includes *almost every hand he raised preflop*.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I think he would release at least 75% of the hands to the size of my re-raise. He's raising pre-flop light--almost 8% of his hands and probably open-raises with a very broad range. This would include KQ, KJ, QJ, JT, AQ, AJ and AT and probably some other assorted suited connectors. It was kind of subtle, and I don't know if anyone paid attention, but SB called the original $14 raise so my re-raise to $52 was bigger than it would be if it were just the original open-raise. The original raiser should be releasing all of the aforementioned hands.

[ QUOTE ]
You can almost certainly expect action from AK (hey, a worse hand!) because AK calls ~50%+ preflop and puts more money in on this flop 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, suppose he has AK. I bet 1/2 pot or 3/4 pot and he flat calls. Now what? I've got to shut down, right? I give up the initative, then I'm almost certain to face a big bet on the turn or the river putting me in a big quandry.

Garland
Old 12-11-2005, 04:02 AM

"The original raiser should be releasing all of the aforementioned hands."

Should be. You never steal in this spot? You think he never thinks you're trying to steal in this spot? I haven't played a player yet (and I've played a ton of players) who do what they 'should do', even vs. very tight reraisers. "I'm bored, let's play" alone should put a 10% call frequency across the board for all of those hands. Every pocket pair that raised called the reraise (see: another active thread). If you agree this is true, and that your opponent doesn't attempt steal raises with underpairs on this flop, then you must agree that a bet has a positive expectation even if villain never gives action with a worse hand. But he will.

You're in a tricky spot on the turn if your opponent flat calls a bet. But check-folding this flop is undoubtedly wrong unless you know something specific (about preflop calling range or his flop action frequency w/different hands, i.e. he will only bet a set).
Old 12-11-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does villian think that Garland has when Garland checks the flop?

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was villain & i for some bizarre reason called that large raise I'd think... "Ok this guy just made a huge PF re-raise and checked it on a KQX board...Something doesn't seem right, CHECK."

Unless I had a set of Kings or Queens.
Then its, "Haha I caught a lucky flop on the bastard, I know he's gotta have AK/AA and his stacks mine, BET!"