Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Call this river?

Pokerstars 1/2 (full ring)

I just recently sat, so no reads. I am button with red JJ. I have $200, Villain has me covered.

UTG and MP1 limp, MP2 (Villain) raises to $11, I call, everyone else folds.

Flop ($29): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2

Villain bets $19, I call.

Turn ($65): 2

Villain bets $40, I call.

River ($140): Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain bets $100, I...?

I felt a little lost this hand, perhaps because I mostly play 6max now.
Anyone play the flop and turn differently? How about the river? I thought his play looked an awful lot like AA/KK, but I also thought that such a hand might bet the river a little smaller for fear of folding out a mid PP like 88.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Call this river?

Raise flop or turn. If he calls you are done with the hand
Old 09-13-2005, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I usually raise the flop here, but for whatever reason I decided to call down figuring I was WA/WB.

As played, do you fold the river?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:33 PM

I think you definitely should've raised the flop or turn. Make him define his hand. But since you didn't, the only possible worse hand he might put that bet out with is a flush. Even then it would be a very dangerous bet since three 2s are on the board. AA, KK, QQ, and AQ just seem much more likely from the way he's bet played it. I can't see him betting that much on the river with a hand like 88 or 99 when the Q hit. I probably would've mucked.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:42 PM

Yes, what are you ahead of that is betting this river? TT? nahhhhhhhhh
Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 PM

Given your action, fold on river, but you have no clue what he had the way you played it.

Reraise to about 60 on flop, and it will be much easier to figure out where you are.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your action, fold on river, but you have no clue what he had the way you played it.

Reraise to about 60 on flop, and it will be much easier to figure out where you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also much easier for villain to figure out where you are. How does villain make a mistake if you raise the flop. This seems to be one of those plays where we make the non-optimal play of raising to prevent ourselves from making mistakes on later streets.

Raise the turn?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:46 AM

The thing about this hand is that there's no way your holding beats AA or KK, since you can't feasibly represent something better. If Villain is good, he's taking this pot pretty much no matter what you do, unless you want to call off your stack. If you raise and he reraises or checkraises the turn (didn't check stack sizes; maybe that's not possible), you probably have to let it go. Of course, Villain probably isn't good, so maybe raising the turn and checking through the river is good? I don't know.