Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 03:27 AM

Default AKo EP hand, live 1-2 game

Live 1-2 game at a club. I have $400 and make it $10 to go UTG with AKo. UTG+1 and MP call. They both have about $200-$250. They are both poor players who cold-call way too much preflop without giving consideration to things like position and stack sizes. Button ($300) also calls. He's a young guy who seems reasonable. He has some sort of hand, but since he's on the button it could be any pair, any suited connector or one-gapper, many offsuit connectors, some suited two-gappers, etc...you get the idea. SB, a fairly tight player who also seems reasonable, also calls.

Now it's up to BB ($290), and he makes it $40 straight. He's pretty bad, but LAGgy and somewhat unpredictable. I have seen him check-raise all-in with 22 on a 457 Q board after check-calling the flop HU. His opponent was clearly pot-committed to calling the check-raise.

I flat-call his raise. UTG+1 folds but MP calls. Button groans but also calls (he had announced that this would be his last hand). SB folds.

Pot is $180 going to the flop. It's KJT with a flush draw. LAGgy BB instantly pushes for $250. I fold, MP folds, Button goes into the tank and finally folds, claiming he had JT.

So, my questions are:

1, Was calling the preflop raise alright or should I have done something else given my position and the nature of the players behind me?

2, Can I possibly call the flop?

3, Should Button have called with his bottom 2 pair?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: AKo EP hand, live 1-2 game

I call this against a player you described in a live game, he might be pushing w/ QQ or KQ. I think you win this pot 40 percent of the time.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1, Was calling the preflop raise alright or should I have done something else given my position and the nature of the players behind me?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold PF. AKo with stacks this deep and people likely to come in after you seems like a real bad spot, to me.

Your other option is re-raise all in.... but I don't know what he calls with.

folding > pushing > calling

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's possible... but you're probably drawing slim.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Again... this really depends on villian's range... but I doubt he makes this move as a bluff.

He's 60/40 v. AA, AK, and a coinflip with QQ, drawing (nearly) dead to KK/JJ, slim as hell to TT/AQ.

Villian's gotta be on a pure bluff pretty damn often here to make this a call.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:31 AM

my initial thought was to push PF. I like mucking better as described above.

depending on which 'player' it is in a live game, I may move all-in too. (on the flop)
Old 10-25-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Fold PF. AKo with stacks this deep and people likely to come in after you seems like a real bad spot, to me.

Your other option is re-raise all in.... but I don't know what he calls with.

folding > pushing > calling

[/ QUOTE ]

There is ~$80 in the pot. The raiser is "bad" and "LAGgy" and I have position on him. Two of the three callers behind me are "poor players" and loose. It's $30 to me with AK and the LAGgy raiser has > $200 more behind. Folding is not better than calling in my opinion.

SpaceAce
Old 10-25-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding is not better than calling

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2005, 06:28 AM

The two big factors are:
1. Has he bet out strong with flops that hit him in the past?
2. Has he bet out strong into drawing boards to get draws out?

If the answer to both those questions is "no" I put him on AK, KQ, QQ, or perhaps just a flush draw (probably A high and maybe with the pair to boot). I think AK still folds. JT calls IMO. If the answer is "yes" to either question, and especially both, get out.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Live 1-2 game at a club. I have $400 and make it $10 to go UTG with AKo. UTG+1 and MP call. They both have about $200-$250. They are both poor players who cold-call way too much preflop without giving consideration to things like position and stack sizes. Button ($300) also calls. He's a young guy who seems reasonable. He has some sort of hand, but since he's on the button it could be any pair, any suited connector or one-gapper, many offsuit connectors, some suited two-gappers, etc...you get the idea. SB, a fairly tight player who also seems reasonable, also calls.

Now it's up to BB ($290), and he makes it $40 straight. He's pretty bad, but LAGgy and somewhat unpredictable. I have seen him check-raise all-in with 22 on a 457 Q board after check-calling the flop HU. His opponent was clearly pot-committed to calling the check-raise.

I flat-call his raise. UTG+1 folds but MP calls. Button groans but also calls (he had announced that this would be his last hand). SB folds.

Pot is $180 going to the flop. It's KJT with a flush draw. LAGgy BB instantly pushes for $250. I fold, MP folds, Button goes into the tank and finally folds, claiming he had JT.

So, my questions are:

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your stack size and postion and opponents as i know who you referred I hate your PF raise to 10. I make it at least 20. People at that games simply dont respect raises for less and AK gets weaker and weaker. I know what you say about building a pot with no postion but still, i think with your tight image a bigger raise is good. Be that as it may. I re-reraise the BB who made it 40 I make it 100 straight. I think again you are referring to the gentleman i stacked 3x. He does this quite often. I think flat calling is bad with your postion.
The rest of the hand is standard. Easy fold post flop....
Old 10-25-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So, my questions are:

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your stack size and postion and opponents as i know who you referred I hate your PF raise to 10. I make it at least 20. People at that games simply dont respect raises for less and AK gets weaker and weaker. I know what you say about building a pot with no postion but still, i think with your tight image a bigger raise is good. Be that as it may. I re-reraise the BB who made it 40 I make it 100 straight. I think again you are referring to the gentleman i stacked 3x. He does this quite often. I think flat calling is bad with your postion.
The rest of the hand is standard. Easy fold post flop....

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for responding. i definitely think you're right about the initial raise. as soon as i announced the amount i regretted not making it at least $14 to go. $20 sounds like a bit much to me, it's probably as high as I'd go. i mean, yeah, these guys are loose, but...meh I dunno. they ARE basically insane.
also i like your re-raise suggestion. i'm thinking maybe even just a minraise, since he is definitely not folding for $100 total if he's not folding for $80 total, so all i'm trying to do is just get it HU in position against him.

one thing though, you say that with my tighter image a bigger raise is good...i'm not sure i understand what you're getting at...you mean that i actually have a chance of narrowing the field by making a large raise?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:27 PM

[quote
one thing though, you say that with my tighter image a bigger raise is good...i'm not sure i understand what you're getting at...you mean that i actually have a chance of narrowing the field by making a large raise? ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES