Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 03:58 PM

Default too much for too little?

First hand at table, playerview hasnt loaded yet and no notes on button.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.33 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

River: (7.33 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

Final Pot: 8.33 BB

I called the flop planning to checkraise bluff/semibluff any straight draw or heart. I was going to checkraise a jack and had not quite made up my mind about a king. Obviously the river is automatic but I was pretty unsure about the rest of the hand.

-Brad
Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: too much for too little?

I would really like this line if you had some read on the villain in this hand. Against a random Party $15 player (read:donkey), I don't know how successful you are going to be.

As an aside, I think I'm becoming too dependant on PlayerView. I'm beginning to get uncomfortable the two hands before it loads. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

- Jags
Old 03-25-2005, 04:49 PM

I agree - I like the play, but I like it better against someone I know who has a propensity to fold.

But if it didn't work I am sure it got you some action on later streets.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:00 AM

I generally c/r this type of flop. and then lead the turn if he calls. I think it's a slightly cheaper way of accomplishing the same thing.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally c/r this type of flop. and then lead the turn if he calls. I think it's a slightly cheaper way of accomplishing the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you then laying it down if he calls and pops you back on the turn?
Old 03-26-2005, 02:17 AM

Serious question...

If you have a decent feel that your KJ is the best hand, then I think you should definitely play it as such. But do you really think it's necessary to so heavily contest such a small pot in a full game?

In other words, will this make or break you in the Party 15 games? I have to admit, I'll make my stands, but I don't always try to run an unimproved KJ through a stealer like poop through a goose. Many stealers would have ace/type hands that would've made a pair on this board or a straight draw which they are not folding to.

Again, I make my stands. I'll even sometimes bet or check/raise a KJ on an ace-high flop. But usually when I think I could have the best hand. Otherwise, I tend not to sweat the small pots in a full game. Do you think I'm giving up too much in these Party games?
Old 03-26-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you then laying it down if he calls and pops you back on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the reason I favor waiting for the turn card in a spot like this. It "defines" your hand more clearly in your opponents eyes and leaves less room for him to get fancy without a real hand.

-Brad
Old 03-26-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question...

If you have a decent feel that your KJ is the best hand, then I think you should definitely play it as such. But do you really think it's necessary to so heavily contest such a small pot in a full game?

In other words, will this make or break you in the Party 15 games? I have to admit, I'll make my stands, but I don't always try to run an unimproved KJ through a stealer like poop through a goose. Many stealers would have ace/type hands that would've made a pair on this board or a straight draw which they are not folding to.

Again, I make my stands. I'll even sometimes bet or check/raise a KJ on an ace-high flop. But usually when I think I could have the best hand. Otherwise, I tend not to sweat the small pots in a full game. Do you think I'm giving up too much in these Party games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I agree. You certainly can't get bullied out of every pot but going apeshit is also not good.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But do you really think it's necessary to so heavily contest such a small pot in a full game?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically the question I was trying to ask. Not really small pots in general but situations like this where your hand may be best, but it is far more likely a small dog; however, the texture of the board allows for a number of powerful bluffs that your opponent would be hard-pressed to call down with A high unimproved or possibly a baby pair.

-Brad
Old 03-26-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but going apeshit is also not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the texture of the board is this really apeshit? Im not being sarcastic im seriously asking...

-Brad