Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 07:31 PM

Default PP 10/20 hand

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $10.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 (poster) calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, UTG calls.

River: (18.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

Just thought this hand was kind of interesting, game was typical laggy party, no particular reads, thoughts on all streets greatly appreciated.

-Brad
Old 11-04-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Re: PP 10/20 hand

Do you normally call a raise UTG with j-10 suited??? If so, can you let me know when and where you will be playing next??
Seriously though, You flopped a monster...and called to set up the raise on the turn.. I would not have re-raised the flop, however, it was not a bad play to get money in with the best hand...however, I think I would have gone for a raise on the turn...I would not want the guy behind you getting a free card on the river though for a raise on the flop...if the guy ahead of you raises him, I call and raise 4th street.
you didn't play bad, just aggressively...I would raise for the big bet..
Old 11-04-2004, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you normally call a raise UTG with j-10 suited??? If so, can you let me know when and where you will be playing next??

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol I had a feeling the call of the UTG raise would raise some eyebrows, thats why I posted this hand. My thinking behind the call was that UTG+2 had posted dead and was certainly going to call with most any piece of trash making the hand multi-way action; additionally I felt pretty confident that there would be at least 1 more caller as the game was quite loose but 3-bet before the flop was rare.

My plan for after the flop was to flop a big draw or toss the hand, as it happened I flopped trips. And no I dont usually call a raise from UTG with JTs, just the UTG+2 poster I thought gave this hand a good possibility of being multiway action for a very big pot if I hit.

My thinking may have been flawed preflop as JTs out of position is still has the potential to be a big problem.

-Brad
Old 11-04-2004, 09:14 PM

You should also consider your position relative to the raiser. You will not be able to trap the field for a bunch of bets with a big draw as you are out of position with respect to the field, and directly behind the PFR. If he bets the flop and you raise, you will cut down the odds of the people behind you. This is ok if your overcards are live, but if you dont have the best hand, you wont be able to raise and build a big pot. In this hand, the checkraise on the turn was screaming for you. No need to announce your hand with a smooth call reraise.