Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 11:39 PM

Default Party hand: Check flop and value bet river?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

My plan to check the flop when it was checked to me was to encourage a J to bet out on a blank turn, the diamond on the turn was not ideal (it would have been comforting to hold the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) but the player who bet out was aggressive and I felt was likely trying to steal.

What do you think of the check on the flop, the raise on the turn, and the bet on the river? Good plays or just a case of FPS?

-Brad
Old 11-10-2004, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Party hand: Check flop and value bet river?

it's FPS.

bet the flop, you don't want to be giving out free cards. maybe someone has the other the king and is intending to check raise you. anyone with a jack with call. charge a possible flush draw. even if you hand KJ instead of AK i think you should bet the flop.

yes raising the turn is good.

value bet on river (duh), good.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:26 PM

I agree with Exist that you need to bet the flop here. You want to get more money in the pot and you'll get action from any king or jack, and flush draw, and from many gutshot draws and pocket pairs. Your failure to bet the flop will be interpreted by many opponents as a big hand which will diminish the future action that you get.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:12 PM

Your flop check is atrocious. Really terrible. I makes me sick just looking at it.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:16 PM

yep
Old 11-10-2004, 08:25 PM

Any player with half a brain who sees you check this flop after raising pf after the pot has been opened will automatically know you have either jj or ak, checking this flop is absolutely horrible.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:20 AM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
Your flop check is atrocious. Really terrible. I makes me sick just looking at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Kind of what I was thinking afterwards, however, UTG shows JT so i figure I gained two bets from the check on the flop (BB betting out UTG calls). Had I bet the flop I would have most likely been checked to on the turn and only UTG would have called. I know this is being results oriented.

-Brad
Old 11-11-2004, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Results

On second thought it was a terrible play all around b/c BB would likely have bet out with the flush card anyway and the rest of the hand would have taken the same line, I just lost a BB by not betting the flop, terrible play I agree. Thanks for your help everyone.

-Brad