Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Playing on the Internet..Questions..(LONG)

Sup guys..unlike 90% of this forum, I don't play online. All my hands and experiences, etc, are from live play with friends. We usually played .10/.25 or .25/.50, with $20 or $50 buy-ins.

One of the reasons I was never able to play online, is quite simply, my parents wouldn't let me. Strange logic, letting your kid play all the time with friends, but not online. I was a senior when I started playing more frequently, and am now in college at University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Ok, now that I am out of the house, I want to start playing some online poker. It seems as if the competition may be slightly easier than the players I play with now (me and another regular from the homegames were regular winners).

There is also another problem- my dad won't like me playing poker during school, as I am a Freshman this year, and he wants me to concentrate on studying for the most part. My roommate (a very good friend of mine) is getting a credit card soon, and I figure I can just withdrawl some $$ and give it to him, and he can set up a poker account. This is mainly so my dad wouldnt know about it.

Do you see alot of problems coming up in the future concerning wins/loses?

Now, I've read Homer's post on building a bankroll, etc, etc. And to tell you the truth, I didn't really understand it. Is the best way to take advantage of bonuses just spreading maybe $500 around different sites? The only problem is it seems to be a hassel redistributing money back and forth.

What is rakeback? I understand the concept, but what is the best rakeback to get? Do you get rakeback for every different site you play on? How is it distributed?

I have had some minimal experience playing internet poker. My friend (another guy I know) let me play a bit on his PP account. I can usually do well in the live games on campus, and most of the players in the dorms and such are pretty bad.

But I couldn't seem to get internet poker down. I even lost 2 buy-ins at the pathetic micro limits $10 NL tables. Perhaps this is just variance..but in the duration of playing maybe 10 hours of playing both $25NL and $10NL, I got outdrawn more frequently (at least more than live IMO). This was when all the money was in the middle, not when I had an option of laying down. This could be to the speed of the deal, or 2-tabling..but I don't know. This isn't a claim to internet poker being rigged- I have neither the experience nor the proof to make that claim.

What are some strategies you guys use that differs from live play? I started to get the basics of hand reading and such down, and if I truly get the big deposit in and start playing seriously, I plan on getting PT. Any advice would help...

Thanks for reading this long passage, if you even got this far. Any advice on any of the information provided would help...

orange
Old 09-16-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Playing on the Internet..Questions..(LONG)

your dad is right to a degree, your freshman year is the most important in terms of developing proper study habits, however poker is a hobby of mine and I play an hour or two a day becuase I have a light course load.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:27 PM

do you plan on playing NL poker or limit? if you're playing limit start with 300 big bets for the limit you're playing, if you're playing NL, start with 20 buy-ins, so $500 for NL25, if you don't have that kind of change play the micro micro limits .

rakeback menas you get a portion of the rake that you contribute back.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:31 PM

I plan on playing the $25 NL full to start. Although I usually play SH (3-6 players), I think I need to get the feel for internet poker. Maybe just nut peddle for a week or two to get the feel, then start multi-tabling.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Open up a new bank account. Use your school address. Set up a Netteller account (or fund directly from your new bank account).

Play tighter online than you do live. If you multi-table you will see more hands in one hour than you would in two (or more)live sessions, so you will also see more bad beats and monster hands.

Most important, focus on school. Poker will always be there, but college is the best time of your life. Don't waste it staring at a computer. Get out and chase the hotties [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe just nut peddle for a week or two to get the feel, then start multi-tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:42 PM

If your dad is paying for much of your college, I would listen to him and not play. Freshman year is important to learn how to study and to get yourself involved socially in a new place.

If your stubborn and want to go on anyway, I would go to Pokerstars and play in some play money SNG's for a week or two. At the higher levels, they can be close to 'real poker'. Play some and see how it effects your schooling. Report back to your dad if it doesn't effect school at all, and try to get his blessing to play real money SSNL.

If you are paying for most of your schooling, you're an adult and can make your own decisions. Don't go the friend route as far as funding an account. Open up a checking acct in Lincoln and fund an account through Neteller.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Dad is paying for a good amount of college. I'm paying like 2k a year, which is maybe 1/3 of my college.

I suppose asking him about it would be the best idea. Over the summer, I made maybe 1.2k playing live with friends (not a brag at all), and was thinking maybe I could play with that money- it's all in an account now. I already know he definitely would have to think about it, and chances are, 85% of the time he'd say no.

So, if I strive to play online and learn to play and make money like my fellow 2+2ers, is using my roommate totally not an option? Is it just not a smart move?
Old 09-16-2005, 04:01 PM

What about the distribution of the $500? Should I deposit it over various sites to make the most of bonuses?

And what about these 'crypto' sites I hear about frequently? Do they offer better bonuses?
Old 09-16-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just not a smart move?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not smart. Get a checking acct in Lincoln (or back home, or where ever), and fund Neteller. Or, get a Visa checkcard and fund it directly to the site if that's the way you prefer. Either way, don't complicate a friendship with money issues like this. Looks OK now, but who knows what could happen in the future.