Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Capping the flop with the nut flush draw? (boring)

How many of you play this hand this way?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Capping the flop with the nut flush draw? (boring)

Boring.

How else do you play it? You've got plenty of equity three-handed. Cap is probably for value and may buy you a free card. You're As and K's are good here a whole bunch of the time.

Nice hand.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:58 AM

Perfect.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:11 AM

As long as you have two for the ride it can hardly be wrong.
BoRiNg
Old 09-03-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're As and K's are good here a whole bunch of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not see that UTG limp/reraised us here? I am not comfortable with my ace or king outs.

Reads would be helpful from OP. (ie. is BB a total donk or could he be sitting on a set here?)
Old 09-03-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're As and K's are good here a whole bunch of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not see that UTG limp/reraised us here? I am not comfortable with my ace or king outs.

Reads would be helpful from OP. (ie. is BB a total donk or could he be sitting on a set here?)

[/ QUOTE ]

A'ight... so maybe they're not that good. They don't have to be. Whatever. It's all gravy, baby.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read on UTG

UTG joined the table after I sat down. He bought in short at 132.50 (telling me it's his whole account balance). He posted BB as the CO on his first hand. He did show down a limp re-raise once and showed J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Though he check-called when he missed the flop. His VPIP was 64%.

Read on BB

BB a donk. He had a stat of 54% VPIP. He started the hand shortstacked with $61.19 that seemed to be all he had. Here is a good example of his donkish-ness. He is the <font color="red">small blind</font> in this hand:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $4.
UTG (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

River: (2.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 4.16 BB

Results below:
SB has 6c 9h (one pair, jacks). <font color="red"> Why did he call the river with nine high?</font>
Button has Ah 6s (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Button wins 4.16 BB.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:44 AM

This is why reads are soooo important to playing hands.

With no reads I think capping is a clear mistake, with these in mind though, it's not terrible.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

With no reads I think capping is a clear mistake, with these in mind though, it's not terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Capping can never be a mistake, even with reads.

Note, if we have a tight read on villain, it means he's probably not that likely to be limp reraising JJ or another hand that hit a set here. Hence, our flush outs are more pure on the flop. So we cap the flop for value.

If we have a loose/aggro read on villain, he's more likely to have a set on the flop, but we're also more likely to have clean A and K outs. So we cap the flop for value.

If you're talking about pre-flop the cap is good because often the limp reraise is with suited connectors or trash, and there are other players involved who likely have trash that we are thrashing.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with W. Deranged. Capping is never a mistake here.