Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 09:33 PM

Default $50 NL KK hand

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter

CO ($45.55)
Button ($48)
SB ($17.95)
BB ($23.05)
UTG ($49.50)
Hero ($66.55)
MP1 ($11.85)
MP2 ($111.25)
MP3 ($66.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, UTG calls $5.

Flop: ($14.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $7</font>, Hero ?

No read on player, have just sat down pretty much. I'm thinking that AQ doesn't call the preflop raise, and that its unlikely that &lt;TT or AK lead the flop. Is it reasonable to fear JJ, QQ and AA? How often does a set make a solid lead in these games?

Thanks,

Gavagai
Old 12-15-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: $50 NL KK hand

[ QUOTE ]

No read on player, have just sat down pretty much. I'm thinking that AQ doesn't call the preflop raise, and that its unlikely that &lt;TT or AK lead the flop. Is it reasonable to fear JJ, QQ and AA? How often does a set make a solid lead in these games?

Thanks,

Gavagai

[/ QUOTE ]

haha you're at 50NL, my friend. you better believe villain will call with AQ. in fact, don't be surprised to see KQ either. players at this level see two facecards, and their eyes light up like an x-mas tree...

with the flop donk-bet, i reraise. i usually make it $20-25 to go. if he reraises me, then it's probably time to fold, especially with no read.

--solids
Old 12-15-2005, 11:03 PM

folding is waaay too weak, imo.

raise, probably fold to a 3 bet.

Consider checking behind on a brick turn if you really think he has AQ, KQ and playing for one bet on the river.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

haha you're at 50NL, my friend. you better believe villain will call with AQ. in fact, don't be surprised to see KQ either. players at this level see two facecards, and their eyes light up like an x-mas tree...

with the flop donk-bet, i reraise. i usually make it $20-25 to go. if he reraises me, then it's probably time to fold, especially with no read.

--solids

[/ QUOTE ]

So you make it 25 to go, and then fold when he raises 11 more into an 88 dollar pot. Maybe guys like you who think the 50 games are easy are why the 50 games are easy.

To the OP. At this level you will see top pair much more often than you will see anything else. In fact there is a 2 percent chance he has a set or aces. Maybe he has two pair but he will have top pair or even K10 more often than anything else. This is a raise/ call all in you have to make at the 50 games. It will make it a higher variance game but you will profit more becuase of the guys pushing top pair
Old 12-16-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Results

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up making a bad fold here, and the guy showed AQ. I was trying to play a session making a concerted effort not to get stacked when my overpair comes up against a bigger overpair or a set. Clearly this wasn't really a situation to fear a set, I don't think many players at this level would lead out like that with the set or two pair, they would almost certainly try to induce a bet from me by checking. And obviously I can't fold only really having AA to fear, particularly when as you all rightly pointed out hands like AQ are a big possibility.

Should I be worried, though, if I frequently get stacked by bigger overpairs/sets at this level?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:51 AM

Raise. You likely have the best hand. I you don't you'll find out soon. Don't see monsters.

I'm not sure about your line of thinking at all. If I had TT I'd lead that flop. People will call with AQ or even AJ for 5 more bucks. AA rarely smooth calls in these micro limits.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--solids

[/ QUOTE ]

So you make it 25 to go, and then fold when he raises 11 more into an 88 dollar pot. Maybe guys like you who think the 50 games are easy are why the 50 games are easy.

To the OP. At this level you will see top pair much more often than you will see anything else. In fact there is a 2 percent chance he has a set or aces. Maybe he has two pair but he will have top pair or even K10 more often than anything else. This is a raise/ call all in you have to make at the 50 games. It will make it a higher variance game but you will profit more becuase of the guys pushing top pair

[/ QUOTE ]

hey smartass, i don't play 50nl. haha but nice point nonetheless. i guess i'm just so used to 100 nl...

in that case, still reraise his bet. i still make it between 20-25, then call his all in.