Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:03 PM

Default New cell phone and plan: need advice

I have no cell phone currently, as I lost it during Katrina aftermath, and bumming off my fiancee's phone seemed to be working. I was just poking around amazon.com, and I saw that they're offering $150 rebates on already ridiculously discounted phones. linky

I've always thought the razr phone looked pretty sweet, but didn't want to actually buy it. Now that I know it's $0 (with a plan, of course) I'm tempted to pick it up. I need a service plan anyways, so that requirement doesn't seem too onerous.

Anyone have any suggestions about the phone/plan I should get? Other suggestions are very welcome.

Here's Monica Bellucci to cheer you on in giving me advice:

Old 11-29-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: New cell phone and plan: need advice

Here's my advice:

DON'T get a Motorola.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:19 PM

That's a good start. What DO i get?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a good start. What DO i get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nokia.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:56 PM

Come on guys. Nokia what? I hear they sell more than one phone, for more than one service provider.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on guys. Nokia what? I hear they sell more than one phone, for more than one service provider.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a radio frequency engineer for one of the largest wireless companies in the US. From a technical point of view, Nokia phones are better than Motorolas.

As far a which one, that depends more on your needs and which carrier you choose to go with.

My first concern, if I were in your situation, would be which carrier to go with. After you've decided that, then you can either choose which of their phones to get, or buy one that will work with the carrier you picked. Then you can pick your plan, again, according to your needs.

But, since you were more concerned with what you could get for free, you go ahead and do what you want. Serriously, did you really expect me to recommend that you get the pink T-Mobile Razr, and the $39.99 plan or something? Do a little work on your own. How are we supposed to know what you need?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:34 PM

[quoteI'm a radio frequency engineer for one of the largest wireless companies in the US. From a technical point of view, Nokia phones are better than Motorolas.

[/ QUOTE ]

great stuff. exactly what i'm looking for.

[ QUOTE ]
As far a which one, that depends more on your needs and which carrier you choose to go with.

My first concern, if I were in your situation, would be which carrier to go with. After you've decided that, then you can either choose which of their phones to get, or buy one that will work with the carrier you picked. Then you can pick your plan, again, according to your needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

still good. very much appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
But, since you were more concerned with what you could get for free, you go ahead and do what you want. Serriously, did you really expect me to recommend that you get the pink T-Mobile Razr, and the $39.99 plan or something? Do a little work on your own. How are we supposed to know what you need?

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa dude. easy. I just mentioned that to get a little discussion going, nothing wrong with talking about some deals, especially compared to "nokia." "not motorola." that's like the douchebags who answer strategy posts with "fold." "call" or "worst bet ever," like they've never thought about anything for more than .5 seconds in their life. Don't be one of them, it's clear you have some useful things to say on this topic.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:29 PM

Verizon or Sprint for a carrier. CDMA > GSM. As for phones: if you must go GSM go with Nokia or Ericcson. TI makes their chips. If you go Verizon or Sprint, then make sure whatever phone you get has Qualcomm guts. Motorola, LG, and Samsung are all fine.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Verizon or Sprint for a carrier. CDMA > GSM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, CDMA is technically a more ellegant solution, in practice the competence of the designers and optimizers is far more important.

I wouldn't worry about the base technology that much.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:12 PM

Samsung