Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Is it broke? - A5s

Hi all. I'd appreciate your help. Thank you all for your comments so far. I am doing a thorough review on my game to see if I have slipped into bad habits. I'd appreciate comments on this to see if my game is "broke"

I don't normally post thoughts but I do here so you can tell me where it is wrong (if it is)

<font color="green"> CO is 36/11 over 100 hands and is passive and straightforward so far
BB is 34/20 aggressive and appears to be "tricky" particularly on the turn (again about 100 hands)
</font>

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

<font color="blue">This flop raise comes from 6 max games. I found that this hand made a profit on the button and I made MORE by raising 1 limper than calling. Is this too loose for full tables? </font>

Flop: (6.66 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

<font color="blue"> Auto bet standard?</font>

Turn: (4.83 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">OK, scare card (for them) appears and I now have a flush draw. With the tricky BB, everyone still happy to bet here or would you take the free card? </font>

Thanks all

T
Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Is it broke? - A5s

I get scared when both call on a flop that is supposed to work for you. I think at least one of them are ahead at this point (none of them are super loose preflop either) so I take the free card and fold to a river bet. Too weak?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:11 AM

yep yep yep play it the same.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 AM

I play it the same, but I have doubts about this line as well. I'm looking forward to reading others comments...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 AM

post flop i like your line, but I do not like your preflop raise in this situation. If both blinds were tight players, than you should raise preflop, but you already knew the big blind was loose so calling is the better play in my opinion since isolation against the weak limper is unlikely to be successful. So you shouldnt raise here, but you must call as your hand is too good to fold vs a weak limper. You can find an almost an exact exaple of this situation in mason mamuths poker essays 3 i believe with A4s in case youre interested in learning more about this type of Isolation play.
-Wes
Old 08-16-2005, 12:50 PM

Preflop -- I agree with your raise, mostly because you don't want to give the BB a free flop. Also what's up with someone openlimping from the cutoff??

Flop -- yes standard bet. But when the CO overcalls, alarm bells should go off. CO is likely to have a flush draw or a big hand (i.e, a 9). BB may have something as well. Frankly I am more scared of callers here than I am of raisers.

Turn -- the flush draw is welcome but I'd check behind for reasons stated above.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:18 PM

I would usually bet the turn heads up, but with two callers I am usually going to take a free card.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:46 PM

Fold PF.

Maybe that answer comes from playing too many tabels at once, but I fold easily and quickly here. The rest of the hand is standard.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:23 PM

Why should alarm bells be going off? People always are taking one off on paired flops..