Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 10:24 AM

Default AK suited in second hour

Hi, first post for me, (accidentilly posted it to the archives .... so this is a repost) I've been lurking for quite some time and I thought I should speak up. I tried to use the converter but it didn't work. Anyway, here's an AK suited hand I almost certainly misplayed - where did I go wrong not so much in my individual bets - but what should I be thinking about doing here.

MTT 2nd Hour, 20+2 on Party.

Villian got moved to this table about 8 hands ago, he's limped twice, once picked up the pot with a pot sized flop bet, once showed down AT (called a small stacks all-in preflop). No other information on villian.

Blinds 100/200
UTG : $1787
UTG+1 : $5220
MP1 : $1000
MP2 : $7661 <font color="red">
Hero : $7925 </font>
LP : $1170
CO : $1320
Button : $2515 <font color="blue">
Villian (SB): $5575 </font>
BB : $1176

Dealt to Hero: [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K

Preflop: 4 folds,<font color="red"> Hero Raises to 600, </font> 3 folds, <font color="blue"> Villian Reraises to 2000,</font> 1 fold,<font color="red"> Hero calls</font>

&lt;I think I should have put all my chips in the middle here, I want to see all 5 cards&gt;

Flop (2 Players, 4200): <font color="blue"> Villian Bets 1500,</font><font color="red"> Hero Raises to 5925 (all-in) , </font><font color="blue">Villian calls </font>

What line should I be taking here, and probably more importantly - why, what's the correct overall strategy to be adopting here.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: AK suited in second hour

What were the cards on the flop?

I don't mind the PF call, I'd probably do that too.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:45 PM

Pre-flop call is better than pushing. AKs is a great starting hand, but it is also very beatable. More times than not, the SBs is re-raising with a big pair. If the flop missed you, then you are better off folding to his flop raise.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:52 PM

He played this like he had a big pair. I don't like just calling and seeing the flop though. You might need all 5 cards to catch that A or K. But, I like to gamble.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:08 AM

oops knew i missed something important.

the flop was 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 11:45 AM

BTF you have a big stack, but still relatively speaking you are
shortstacked compared to the blinds. When reraised by the small blind I think you have two choices, either moving all in or folding your hand. The problem with pushing is if you lose you become more short stacked and you are facing a likely medium to big pair so you are a dog. You don't have to gamble right now. Therefore I would preserve
my big stack and fold. Now if my stack were a lot bigger or
smaller than I would definitely push. Once you see the flop
I think your only play is to fold. The flop did not help you. If you look at the pot odds you got before the flop it
was costing you 1400 to win a 2900 pot. You are getting 2:1
on your money, but the odds of hitting your hand are around 3:1, another good reason why calling is incorrect.

Bruce
Old 07-28-2005, 11:56 AM

I concur with Bruce. I'm assuming blinds are 100/200.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:57 AM

I'm definitely pushing preflop here. You can't call off 1/4th your stack with AK here just to miss the flop 2/3rd the time and fold (which is what you should've done on the flop). The push on the flop is bad. The only hand he'll fold here is AK or AQ, and if you put him on that you should've pushed preflop. AKs is a great hand when you see all 5 cards.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTF you have a big stack, but still relatively speaking you are
shortstacked compared to the blinds. When reraised by the small blind I think you have two choices, either moving all in or folding your hand. The problem with pushing is if you lose you become more short stacked and you are facing a likely medium to big pair so you are a dog. You don't have to gamble right now. Therefore I would preserve
my big stack and fold. Now if my stack were a lot bigger or
smaller than I would definitely push. Once you see the flop
I think your only play is to fold. The flop did not help you. If you look at the pot odds you got before the flop it
was costing you 1400 to win a 2900 pot. You are getting 2:1
on your money, but the odds of hitting your hand are around 3:1, another good reason why calling is incorrect.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a party $20. I have seen people reraise our hero's apparent steal raise with hands as bad as KQ and AJ to make pushing a +EV move here I think. Is the villain's range of hands really as small as a high-mid pair? I think he has AQ or worse about 20% of the time here. Anyone's thoughts on that?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:15 PM

Yea, I see this on the internet all the time, but I still think
it's more likely for the average internet big blind to have
a medium to big pocket pair. On a good day he may have AK, on
a great day he may be overplaying AQs. Hero has the largest stack on the table, why assume villian is a maniac, and base
and otherwise clear fold to a call on an assumption which we
have no way of confirming. Making a play strictly because
this is the internet is a quick way to go broke.

Bruce