Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: What motivates you?

[ QUOTE ]
Happening to have the best hand and solidly knowing i had the best hand, and then let him bet away his chips on an overcards bluff are two different things.

Ok, maybe you guys dont see the inner beauty, but it did it for me. I almost got wood when he showed the KQ.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew you had him "pwned" so badly why not throw a raise on the end? i mean if u know ur hand was that solid...why not
Old 07-20-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Money...what else?

[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you?

I won't put limitations on how you want to perceive the question except that it has to deal with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

me personally, i could care less about the competitiveness or being known as the best. the only thing i care about is the MONEY i can earn from playing poker. my love for the game does'nt extend past how much i feel i can eventually earn from it. if there was no money to be made, i would'nt play---simple as that. i've had alot of low level players tell me not to take $5 buy-ins so seriously, yet taking them seriously [in my pursuits to move up] is precisely why i feel i have an edge. i tell players all the time:

[ QUOTE ]
"if you feel like throwing your buy-in away, i'm glad i'm at your table. i'll gladly take it".

[/ QUOTE ]

poker is like a business to me. you go into business to make money, anything else [to me] is a waste of time. when i log into a table, my sole focus is on making money- PERIOD!
i constantly find myself in situations where i get my money in with the best of it, only to get rivered by a wing and a prayer. there is only one thing i hate to think about most and that hurts more, other than losing the hand in that spot, and that's having to think about the money i could've made had my hand held up.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Money...what else?

You could have just agreed with my response [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 08:18 PM

Internet poker allows me to gamble for profit in my underpants while at the same time fondling my girlfriend, drinking beer, and scarfing Reddi-Whip straight out of the can. I don't quite have a big enough mouth to yell out "God-f-ing-dammit!" at the same time, but I'm working on that. Take that conservative christian right!

So I think my answer is "spite," which is pretty much the only thing that has ever motivated me.

see you in hell,

SlimP
Old 07-20-2005, 08:26 PM

From management classes i recall that people are motivated by:

Money, fear, acknowledgement (praise, respect), power (i may have left one out but in watching my own employee's these are certainly the most common motivational tools.

For me it is a combination of all of them:

I fear going broke. This motivates me to manage my money well, not play on tilt and to learn.

Money is by far my biggest motivator.

Acknowledgement is big in my circle of friends as we all play poker a great deal. Winning is nice for the money but also nice for the respect I get for it. I used to be probably the 4th or 5th best in our group.

Power is one that certainly motivates me and being self-employed (and successful at it) is certainly an empowering thing.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: What motivates you? *DELETED*

[ QUOTE ]
Post deleted by citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

what was this??????? i like REALLY REALLY wanna know!!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please dont put links like this up without giving warning that is is not safe for work. I like my day job, thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry didnt think about that
Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: What motivates you? *DELETED*

Its still in there, just look for this
Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Money...what else?

[ QUOTE ]
You could have just agreed with my response [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i like mine better.