Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Re: AJs against agressor

[ QUOTE ]
NL turney, early rounds.

Short stack (450) makes minimum raise UTG, MP (2500) raises to 450. Seems to me he's making a move, so I (1500) call with AcJc. Short stack folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling 450 with a 1500 stack is a bad idea. Even more so when other players are to act behind you. Move in or fold, with folding probably best given your hand, players behind you and UTG limper.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Point taken. I was considering the preflop all-in, but figured this was a hand I wanted to see a flop with given my read. One question: yes I'm risking a third of my stack, but I'm still in good shape even if I fold on the flop. Would you never risk this amount early if you knew it was an even money call with potential to hit a big flop (I'm not refering to this hand, but the general concept)?

[/ QUOTE ]

No hand likes to call for 1/3 of stack to see the flop. Not even for 20%. For me, 10% is the cut-off figure.

This is just leaking chips. You will miss the flop 2/3 of the time, assuming no one raises behind you preflop and you lose without even getting that far. Giving up 1/3 of your stack that often is not a good idea when you think you had the best hand preflop, (and may well still do after you miss the flop). Not to mention the 1/3 of the time you hit the flop, you will sometimes still get beat and go broke.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm asking because I see a lot of autrocious play in the early rounds and it seems to be a good time for a decent player to build his stack by seeing flops with good (if not stellar) hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atrocious play like calling for 1/3 of stack and folding the flop if it misses?

A decent player sees flops for a small % of their stack.

When it's over about 10% of your stack to see the flop, the only reason to play is if you think you have the best hand, and in such cases, you are better off moving in there and then preflop rather than calling to try and hit the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Also: what if MP had just called the minimum raise. Wouldn't the domimation theory still apply and you should muck AJs?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's for a small % of the stacks involved, you can see the flop if you play reasonably well post flop. The implied odds are better, and you also have some room to use your position and sometimes still win when you miss. You are either looking to flop some kind of drawing hand, or better than just 1 pr on it's own, or being able to win sometimes when you miss. If you flop top pair only, you are cautious with it as there will be more than 1 bet left in the stacks.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:26 AM

No hand likes to call for 1/3 of stack to see the flop. Not even for 20%. For me, 10% is the cut-off figure.

Late in a tourney I might just call with AA KK QQ or AK..

With AK and QQ I get to see if it is a favorable flop and if it is deep stack versus deep stack I can still fold. This also allows him to bluff on the flop if it is favorable to me so I can get my oney in as a huge favorite. This is really a move made on the increasing value of chips theory...with 40XBB my first 13BB are WAY less valuable than the next 27bb IMHO.

With AA or KK it allows more people in and possibily a bail with and ace on the flop with KK.

Anybody aggree with me here or is it an auto push always??