Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: A WSOP Main Event Hand

I'm torn between checking behind and pushing here. I would normally go with a check (see Soss's post for reasons), but the "Day 1 Bubble" does give us a bunch of extra FE as AK/KQ no heart is going to have a hard time calling when it's so close to the end of the session. I think betting and leaving ourselves open to a semi-bluff C/R (especially if we plan on folding) is the worst option...
Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM

I'm checking the turn as well for the above reasons. I can understand some of the arguements for betting, but IMO you'll have to commit a large portion of your stack here and there is too much of a chance you are behind for that. With such a scary board, and at this stage of the tournament, I think the chances of him running some crazy bluff on the river are slim. IMO this will get checked down quite often given the scenario.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:30 PM

It's hard to believe you have the winner when he makes such a small bet on the end. All you can beat is a bluff basically. Folding leaves you in decent shape. I think that's the play. Looks like villain really wants a call here.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:35 PM

You make a strong arguement. Against an LP betting looks like it could be the way to go.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:38 PM

Ugh Ugh Ugh.. I'm in TDs boat thinking there's nothing that you beat. These are the types of folds that I lose sleep over, but it looks like the right move, especially against this type of player.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The river was a black 9, making the board Kh Th 5h 4 9.

Villain bets 5,000, making the pot about 23,000. Call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

You suspected he was loose passive. Check/call, check/call, then lead the river just screams monster from a LP player. You have 10K left? I fold.

P.S. I check behind on the turn.
P.P.S. I fold preflop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to believe you have the winner when he makes such a small bet on the end. All you can beat is a bluff basically. Folding leaves you in decent shape. I think that's the play. Looks like villain really wants a call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, sort of. I thought for a long time and eventually called. The bet was very suspicious, but I called because I could think of very few hands that beat me that he would not have raised on the turn with such a scary board. Any two pair or set almost definitely would have raised the turn. I thought that the probability of him making a last ditch effort with a missed Ah was high enough to justify a call, given how large the pot was.

Unfortunately he turned over QJ for the rivered straight and I was crippled. At the time I never really gave it serious thought that he could have QJ. He hit the one fvckin card that he could beat me with but also get me to call on the river.

In hindsight I probably should have folded, although I don't think it was easy. My judgement may have been clouded by my fatigue and the allure of getting to the second day with a pretty big stack.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, sort of. I thought for a long time and eventually called. The bet was very suspicious, but I called because I could think of very few hands that beat me that he would not have raised on the turn with such a scary board. Any two pair or set almost definitely would have raised the turn. I thought that the probability of him making a last ditch effort with a missed Ah was high enough to justify a call, given how large the pot was.

Unfortunately he turned over QJ for the rivered straight and I was crippled. At the time I never really gave it serious thought that he could have QJ. He hit the one fvckin card that he could beat me with but also get me to call on the river.

In hindsight I probably should have folded, although I don't think it was easy. My judgement may have been clouded by my fatigue and the allure of getting to the second day with a pretty big stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he have QJ w/ none of the flush suit? If so, he's an all star. He'll prob. win the ME next year.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did he have QJ w/ none of the flush suit? If so, he's an all star. He'll prob. win the ME next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure because I was so pissed off at the time, but I think he didn't have a heart. Even if he did, I think his call was crap because he was out of position and had no way of knowing if his heart was clean.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:26 PM

I check the turn trying to keep the pot small here and get to showdown as cheap as possible.