Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Why are Hellmuth\'s books so bad?

I have only paged through a few of them in the bookstores before and they do look/sound pretty useless, but for those of you that have read them, what exactly about them makes them so bad? How can an obviously good player write such bad books?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Why are Hellmuth\'s books so bad?

$$$
Old 05-08-2005, 05:08 AM

also the dvd:s are very bad so $$$ might be a reason. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2005, 12:57 PM

I think the main reason is that Phil rely's on his ability to read his opponent so much (granted, he's very good at it) that his answer to difficult hands is always to fall back on that ability. He doesn't go into the depth that Harrington's book does when discussing certain hand situations. At least that's how I see Phil's books.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:40 PM

His books suck because if that was ur first book it woundnt do anything for you i tried to learn O8B through his section in play poker like the pros man he cannot write anything useful what so ever. You can add this as a red flag book.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:58 PM

I have seen one of his dvd's, my friend rented it from blockbuster! I dont know that I'd say they are bad, I think that it teaches some good basic fundementals, and I think that his books are more targeted towards the ABSOLUTE BEGINNER who is brand new to the game, without a doubt. The guys a world class pro, he won 9 world series bracelets, been playing for something over 15 years? I'm sure he could have written a more advanced book if he wanted to just as easily but decided theres more of a market for beginners. Most of the people on this forum are more used to 2+2 books which are more advanced, comprehensive, and targeted more towards the experienced player.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:29 PM

I agree, his books are geared towards someone who just play the occasional game every now and then, not someone who's trying to become a grandmaster, so to speak.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:09 AM

His sections on Omaha and Stud are the only parts most of the posters here give any credit.

I, OTOH, liked PPLP because it did wonders for me (having read one of Warren's books it's understandable). One of the biggest grips poster here have is he doesn't use math to explain it.

He makes everyone tight weak and pushes small pairs "too much". He does depend on his reads a lot and pretty much pushes for the reader to learn to read.

His book isn't the greatest, but you could do a LOT worse - believe me!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:44 AM

Because they cost you money if you follow his limit holdem advice.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:57 AM

He wrote the single worst paragraph on O8 strategy in PPLP. He states that when you have a nut low draw you should ram and jam the pot since you are got have half of the pot covered to try and make your high hand (a pair of 8's haha) a winner.

He then states that someone else could have A2 as well and you'll get quartered but that it was so rare that the reader shouldn't worry about it and that he'll go into it later. He never does.

All other books (SS2, HLSFAP and Cap's) talk about the very real threat of quartering with A2 and Cap even states that its a 32% possiblity someone has A2 when you do.

Anyone who has played any at micro and small stakes can fill you in on how laughable it is to say that being against another A2 doesn't happen much and you shouldn't worry about it.

Overall is advice is good, his find the low hands are insanely repetitive and take up too much space, but in two paragraphs he writes some of the worst theory/advice in the entire cannon of written word on O8.