Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Split the money or take it all?

Lets say you and a group of 9 other friends have a weekly $100 winner-take-all NL tourney. Each player starts out with t1000. Every other player beside you is weak. They limp 3 times more than they raise, and they occasionally make bad bluffs. their avg VPTIP is about 38%.
1st question: How much would you say your $100 buy in is worth?

2nd question: It comes down to heads up play, one night and you take a bad beat from an average player. so now the chip count is You: t1000, Him: t9,000 and blinds are only 100, 200. Now, your friend offers to split the $1000 grand prize with you 50/50. So the question is: Which has more +EV, to finish the tourney or take the $500?
Old 05-01-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Split the money or take it all?

It depends on how much $500 is worth to you. If you have mortgage coming up and are short on cash then that $500 is worth a lot more than if you don't have those kind of pressures hanging over you head. Personally I'd split.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:10 PM

Split, with only 5xBB heads up it doesn't matter how bad the other guy is.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:33 PM

Um you're out chipped 9-1 and the guy wants to split 50/50? Do you have photos of him involved in sexual relations with a chicken or something?

I wouldn't offer [insert big name pro] a 50/50 split if I had them outchipped 9-1 unless I was playing my hands face up, and maybe not even then.

Split here, without a doubt. Unless you're totally rigging the deck, there's no way in hell you're going to win this tournament more than half the time.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every other player beside you is weak.
1st question: How much would you say your $100 buy in is worth?

[/ QUOTE ]
That depends on the blind structure. If the blinds are very small and stay that way, I'd expect to get back over $300 in prize money. If the blinds are large, this might be worth $200 or less.

[ QUOTE ]

2nd question: It comes down to heads up play, one night and you take a bad beat from an average player. so now the chip count is You: t1000, Him: t9,000 and blinds are only 100, 200. Now, your friend offers to split the $1000 grand prize with you 50/50. So the question is: Which has more +EV, to finish the tourney or take the $500?

[/ QUOTE ]
If your opponent is very weak, and won't call a raise without AA or KK, then you should play it out and steal the blinds a few dozen times in a row. However, against an opponent who merely plays badly without such a weakness, the blinds are too large for you to have much of an advantage. I think playing it out is worth less than $200.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:44 PM

You just can't outplay someone with 5BB no matter how bad they are. If you had a 9:1 chip lead and went in blind eveyhand you'd still be favourate. Take the split.