Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2004, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Must moral law be divinely inspired?

Hey guys,

What you all are not considering in the progression of this conversation is the self-manifestation of said Presence. Yes, the universal moral law (treat others as you want to be treated, et al) screams of a God. Once you get to that plateau, to say that since this is so, that must mean that this Greater Being transcends any religion is fallacious. Consider this--if there were one Being from whom all false religions derived, would they not all bear a semblence of the true "religion"?

There is something unique among religions in the world. There is something that stands out, a belief system that is far different than any other. There is one moral code that differs from the others in crucial points where it seems similar to the others from a distance (which is as close as any of you have gotten), but from an intimate examination, it is amazingly lucent that it is unique, and the truth. I speak of the writings that come together to form what is known as the Bible. No, not Catholicism. Not Protestantism. If you are a scholar of the Bible, you know that you can scarcely find a church in the world that is teaching the Bible rightly from the pulpit. And so men such as yourselves continue to be deceived by what is Christianity because what is presented to you is a "religion" like others, and what composes the Bible is something entirely different.

It is the Bible that conveys that God has set the idea of eternity in man's heart, yet not so that man will find out the works of God (Ecclesiastes). It is the Bible which states that the moral code which is embedded in man is from ONE God (Romans 2). It is the stories of Genesis which confirm this.

In my search for the Creator (I always saw the need for a Creator when I considered nature), I considered all known religions, and was baffled by the possibilities. Was God above all these religions? Part of them all? Was one right and the rest wrong? I was led astray, to nowhere (to everywhere), and puzzled. But upon reading the Bible in its entirety, I discovered the source from which all other religions originate. I saw a God that Christianity hardly knew, a God more divisive to the world and powerful than I had ever heard of, and a God that no man would make up. This God of the Bible was living for his own glory, and created man to glorify himself. Man is pictured as an evil sinner in the Bible, desperately needing to be saved from himself. Man cannot save himself, nor can he come to God himself or through his reason. Who wants to believe this? Who was this Jesus Christ, Son of God, central to His Being? But alas, the Bible documents the start of all other religions including evolution (2 Peter), secular humanism (Romans 1), atheism (Psalm 14), and agnosticism (I Corinthians 1-2). It describes in detail the reason for moral absolutes being universal, how man seeks to be moral to work his way to whatever higher place he sees fit in his mind, though there be only one which cannot be earned. It also describes why all men seek to worship something greater than themselves (just watch how people talk about David S. on this forum, or how we elevate actors and athletes in America and around the world). All the answers to all philosophical questions, I have found in the Bible, though the God of the Bible is foreign to nearly all religious men.

The Apostle Paul is a surprisingly philosophical man who explains many of these things in the 14 books of the Bible which document him. I would encourage you to read his writings and the book of Acts.

To assume that God has not manifested Himself to us in a way that we can know is, at this current time for you, willful ignorance--you cannot say that you have searched. One famous quote that people like to say is, "Seek and you will find". Have you sought? Be careful of what makes sense to you and the conclusions you see fit considering that you haven't even read the Bible that after thousands o f years, no one has been able to refute. Be careful that your own reasoning doesn't preclude what you desire to find. "Sometimes the very thing you're looking for is the one thing you can't see" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

When you've finally conceded (in this post modern society!) that there are absolute morals, will you stop there and conclude that they end in man, or that the God in whom they end is not desiring of our obedience of them to worship Him in ONE particular way? If you are going to seek, by all means, seek! But seek all the way, and with the realization that what makes sense to you may not be the way that the truth is.

M