Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Help Please on Tournament Books, Material :(

Will some of you kind folks Please help me as to what Books, material to buy that is EFFECTIVE in ANY tounaments (ie, Sit N Gos, big ones etc, consistancy).

I am working with the "Kill Phil" book but feel it's incomplete. I have looked through Harrington's books and thought about getting McEvoy's (sp). I have David's old tournament book but not his new one.

I feel that I need a solid Methodology (if that's possible)..I feel that I'm "all over the place" having read many of the books, ideas etc.

"Kill Phil" seems to have merit but not on it's oun I feel. Seems that it needs to be 'integrated with other material IMHO. I use it for sit N goes and have had limited success applying ONLY it's Methodology.

Any help or suggestions would be enormously appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Help Please on Tournament Books, Material :(

HoH 1&2
Old 12-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Like he said, harrington on holdem 1 and 2 are a must read
Old 12-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Is david's new book "tournament poker for advanced players"? It's an excellent book, imo. It's a little abstract, but it has good hand quizes that help bring it down to earth. I'm not through HoH yet, but it's pretty good until now.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:27 PM

Theory of Poker, Harrington on Hold'em 1 & 2, Tournament Poker for Advanced Players - probably in that order.

Keep in mind that TOP references many different games and is not specific to hold'em. It's the concepts and theories that you need to grasp in this book, not the exact examples and how they relate to lowball or razz, as will be the case in many examples, but how they relate to poker in general.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:55 PM

pg's little green book isn't a bad bed for the price on amazon.com
Old 12-28-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I feel that I need a solid Methodology (if that's possible)..I feel that I'm "all over the place" having read many of the books, ideas etc.

Any help or suggestions would be enormously appreciated.

Thank you very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Others have already suggested the good poker books available. The Anthology thread in this forum is an excellent compilation of well-thought of ideas, etc. of some of the better known and successful posters. But to search for a methodology in poker is like searching for the ark. To me, it is assimilating the bits and pieces of selectively good information in those books and posts and painstakingly applying them through trial and error at times in actual games is a key to be successful in poker.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:20 PM

Is David Sklansky's TPFAP like Theory of Poker in that it covers more than just hold'em as well? I wish David has a hold'em only tournament book.